Tomos A55 pedals spinning backwards

Im stumped!

Had this moped for almost 6 years and it hasn't failed me once through almost 8k miles. Many small modifications that I've done all myself. Recently decided to bite the bullet and add the jammer clutch to the mods. Took that transmission apart 5 times to try to make it work. Had to replace and shorten the inner allen bolts, grind open the splines, and source a washer for it since it was catching the bell. (Although treatland says the washer is no longer needed per email with dana). Did all that and it still made the pedals spin backwards insanely fast and would turn off as soon as the back wheel hit the ground. So after all those mods to the jammer I said screw it im putting my stock 1st gear clutch back on which has fairly new pads and a 20lb spring that I've ran for over 1000miles with no issue.

YES the sprag is installed right and didnt slip.

YES all the shims are there and properly installed.

Pedals forward fine, kicking it to start is no issue, drives completely fine around the block.

But as soon as i put it on the stand and rev, the pedals rolls backwards as I rev.

Wtf is wrong?!

Re: Tomos A55 pedals spinning backwards

i think it has to do something with the peanut clip on that collar. it needs ever so slight resistance to pull it away. do u have that small spring on your outside cover on pedal shaft as well?

All the gear teeth on everything is perfect, no chips. Peanut/collar is all good too. I've had times when it slipped while doing clutch work but its obvious, it wont spin the wheel. So you know you have to get it right before putting the oil back in and running it. I have the shim behind the collar, i have the spring and everything on the outside shaft for the pedal.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

Needle bearing inside main drive on pedal shaft. Went or your not setting the counter shaft correctly when you reassemble. The two washers on the pedal shaft are critical. One less you get no start one extra you get eggbeaters.

I have two brand new washers on the pedal shaft inside the case from mopedjunkyard

♣Slew Foot♣ /

Before you set the case wiggle the counter shaft as you check clutch function it should seat and drop 2mm and the cover should go together without any force.

> ♣Slew Foot♣ Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Needle bearing inside main drive on pedal shaft. Went or your not

> setting the counter shaft correctly when you reassemble.

Tomos trannys still bugging me. The internal needle bearings in main drive spin forward not backward. If main drive internal needle bearings were bad and grabbing pedal shaft it would spin forward. No?

1)If you hold the pedal toothed collar in one hand and move the peanut spring in the grove, there needs a bit of resistance. It doesn't just float freely in that grove.

2)Now im thinking it has to do something with the collar bearing cage on your counter shaft not fully disengaging. Your pedal shaft has that chain that connects it to the countershaft and that sprocket on the inside with the sprag spring.

Richard Eberline /

shimmed to tight and not fully releasing or clearing the male worm gear.

Hey rich,

How can it be shimmed too tight if hes using stock shims? Also, what's the worm gear?

Andrew

Bump. Still curious

♣Slew Foot♣ /

I think it wasn't a roller cage. The countershaft wasn't properly seated or kickstarter cage shot.

I'm interested in the answer. I've never had this problem, but knowledge is power.

Bumping this for Aleks. Back wheel spins freely forward when moped is off and running. Once rear brake lever is pulled or moped is taken off the kickstand it dies.

^ r u working on same moped standin there, or is this a totally different moped?

Lol now working on the same moped

can u push on the pedal shaft, against spring? should have a small amount of movement.

away from motor, but is the rear brake plate stop in the swingarm?

I'll check tomorrow morning and let you know

♣Slew Foot♣ /

Ground fault.

I would say that if the ped would at least kick over while the brake is engaged or on the ground. All evidence leads to a mechanical issue

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account