Sachs magneto woes

So my magneto wasn't the correct one for the bike I have and the key never sat in its groove. When I timed it originally it was holding. Now it's going out of time and i need a new crank or magneto

Re: Sachs magneto woes

Richard Eberline /

pics, omit the key, lap the parts. Lapping compound. Hand time.

Ok ill get pics soon.

You can see where the key messed up the inside of the taper a bit.

received_886936248398292.jpeg
received_208845500334786.jpeg

lapping time, anything abrasive, hand cleaner w pumice, rubbing compound, twist twist.

oh dude yea. very real common issue. I think maybe it's cuz of fun with coasterbrakes? but yours is 504 no? so I dunno.

Anyway happens alot.

this writeup pretty well covers what you need to do (i think, havent read it in a while)

https://www.mopedarmy.com/wiki/Lapping_tapered_crankshaft_and_flywheel_surfaces_for_good_no_slip_bond

timin is a little trickier but if you make a TDC mark for flywheel and case (i think there already is one) and make sure when you're putting it on that that still lines up, you should be fine.

So basically from what i gather is you take the flywheel and put an abrasive compound to mate the surfaces together. This should take about 20 minutes to complete.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

Its clockwise... Right.?

yea exactly, valve grinding compound, spin it, clean it, line it up and pressfit it on. if theres a lip of something or galled up metal you might have to file it down 1st.

Can't wait!

So I bought permatex valve grinding compound. I lapped the surfaces for probably 5 minutes. The surfaces looked good and reinstalled.

Still slips....

try again

I've read as long as 20 minutes to get it right .

And , you have to put a bit of strength into the lapping . Pansy hands ain't gonna cut it .(edited)

Still slipping....

Hows it look?

20200321_170231.jpg

♣Slew Foot♣ /

Rolling paper and redlocktite. Heat gun it will hold it.

did u change that seal out? the taper looks sticky, when u slap on the flywheel it should be hard to pull off. sound dumb but

do you tighten the nut?

I used an impact gun.

Locktight might work

Blue loctite. Post back after 24 hrs

Grinding compound and blue toctite worked!

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account