Puch Snowflake Race Loose

john cervini /
20200317_091124.jpg

I was taking the rear snowflake wheel apart for service and when I removed the cone nut the entire bearing race just fell out. I can put it back in but it doesn't stay in place. Any ideas on how to fix it without having to switch to sealed bearings? Thanks

Re: Puch Snowflake Race Loose

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

Green loctite.

Overpriced Parts /

Bushing adhesive but I have used JB Weld before if it was really sloppy but now would be a good time to do a sealed bearing conversion

You could do a shade tree trick and knurl the inside with a center punch and hammer.

If the bearing cones deteriorated to the point of massive friction, it could have locked up with the cup causing it to spin inside, which could soft ream the hub to the point where it would no longer be able to pressure fit the cup.

Moped Lar's advice is solid if you intend to rebuild to original specs; Loctite can be removed or sanded down if the rebuild doesn't work out to your satisfaction. But replace the axel, cones and bearings with new because that whole 11MM axel setup is way under engineered for the wheel.

I think it's very important to avoid causing further damage to the wheel - gouging the cup fitting surfaces could ruin any option to convert to sealed bearings, which is really the best thing to do anyway. 12MM axel conversion makes snowflake wheels the best moped alloy wheel setup there is in my opinion.

> - schmiddy Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

12MM axel

> conversion makes snowflake wheels the best moped alloy wheel setup there

> is in my opinion.

Agreed, the bearings and axle are the weak link on an otherwise great wheel with larger brake pads. Swapping the rear wheel (at least) to 12mm axle sealed bearing is well worth the effort

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account