2018 Tomos Sprint Idle/cutting out

I have recently purchased a next to new stock 2018 Tomos Sprint. Under 50 kilometers. I brought it home and started to tune the carb thinking thats all it will really need being new. Rode it with choke to warm it up but as soon as I took off the choke and came to a stop the engine cut out. I drained the tank thinking the gas could be 2 years old now and took the carb off to clean it thinking the pilot jet was clogged. Carb was spotless and so was the pilot jet. Cleaned it anyway but still no change. I called a local shop for some advice and he told me that he stopped working on them once Tomos put the "crazy catalytic converters" into their exhaust systems. He said get an aftermarket exhaust or try drilling some holes in your exhaust to try and release some of the pressure. Looking for some recommendations. Is this what the issue is? Does anyone else have this issue? If so, what exhaust do you recommend? What size jets (even larger carb?) should I use for the new exhaust?

Thanks,

Thomas

Re: 2018 Tomos Sprint Idle/cutting out

what i myself would do is go over that engine and tighten down every bolt to spec. Theres 4 bolts on your motor near your spark plug retighten those 9ft lbs torque and snug intake bolts by hand dont incredible hulk the bolts just snug tight because its not an old chevy engine block its moped metal. And get you a biturbo or bullet exhaust for a55 tomos.

I jump to ignition with any of them. The new tomoses had shit cdi's. Replace the whole shebang with a better alternative. It's gonna leave you stranded sooner or later.

Not saying that's what you problem is. But it could be.

if it runs on choke then off choke it dies, u have an air leak.

I had tightened the bolts testing for an air leak but still had the same issue

so you cleaned carb spotless, what happens when u increase idle with idle screw?

Make sure the carb is pushed onto the intake as close as you can get it.

Don't get a new carb before your bike is running. Just go over the whole thing meticulously !

I cant even get to this point so I couldnt tell you. I started with the air screw all the way in and slowly loosened half a turn at a time but nothing. I have to give it throttle to keep it alive. Carb is cleaned and I made sure the air filter was on tight. I tightened all the bolts on the engine but still no change. And I can start it on choke and ride on it until it gets warm and I can take the choke off and ride just fine. But again as soon as I come to a stop it dies immediately

I tightened the bolts down, they were already pretty snug. and checked the filter and its pushed in as far as it can go as well. Still nothing. I can ride with it off choke too. but as soon as I come to a stop it cuts. Its not like a bogged down cut, it just goes off. Im just perplexed on what could be happening

Maybe the idle circuit is plugged ?

Richard Eberline /

What brand of carburetor? This is the only item you messed with, idle circuit or air leak. return carb to normal jetting.

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account