Useful tools

Maosn Campbell /

So we bought a couple Mobys and a couple Sachs over the past week. When working on these old things you obviously can run into annoying problems and not having the right tool. I'm up for any and all recommendations in regards to what tools are must have and what you like to use personally.

Things I specifically would like some advice on is how to pull the cover off the variator on the mobys. Shit is a pain.

Also So I don't mar the chrome on the sachs engine, what do you like to use to get the magneto cover off?

Re: Useful tools

Not sure.on moby but sachs cover i take a 1/4 extention under the.oposite side .at the bottom you can catch the cover lip ...i use the large end of the extention in the grooveand tap to knock the cover off

No substitute for good snap ring pliers for those Mobys. But some have had success filing down the tips of hemostats to get those little clips off.

Maosn Campbell /

Cool, for the stock vars, is there a puller for that? I can't find one on treats. And even with my snap ring pliers I can't get the damn var off. That one snap ring is deep in there. May need a nicer pair.

There’s no puller necessary. It’ll slide right off once you get the snap rings off. If I remember right, there’s two. An internal, and an external. Moby snap rings are a pain- the holes are tiny, and they are way in there deep.

Btw, for lots of Moby tips, tricks, and tutorials, look up Rebel Moby posts both here & on YouTube. He’s got some vids on Moby servicing, and making custom tools that are Moby specific. Huge help to me.

Maosn Campbell /

Yea there's one ring after you the get the var cover off and its deep in there. But I was wondering if there was a tool to get the var cover off. Had a hell of time trying to pry it out with screw drivers. The shims on it were in there good.

Maosn Campbell /

Sweet I'll look him up.

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account