Need help to remove torrot turismo victoria variator

Hi, how do I remove the variator from a torrot turismo victoria engine? I have searched the wiki and found great information on variator tuning and am trying to remove mine to have a look inside as it will not idle (engine cutoff) with the rear tire fully stopped (squeezed on brake). Greatly appreciated for any instructions you have on how to remove it. I have removed the nut, attached to puller, but did not want to force it in case I am doing it the wrong way. I have borrowed RebelMoby’s picture to show the variator, I have the exact bike as his.

Thank you!

CE6B9B83-0B82-4897-B1C3-07B90164262C.png

Re: Need help to remove torrot turismo victoria variator

What's the puller look like? Does it thread into the center of the variator and push against the crank?

Check your brake light, some bikes if the bulb is out the engine will kill when you engage the brakes.

Thanks for the questions Nick. Yes, it threads into the center of the variator and push against the crank. I have attached more pics of the puller.

03691FAE-46B0-42C4-AA51-1ED2A028B143.jpeg
17E8968C-B287-4120-9A71-202981D10A2A.jpeg

Thanks for the suggestion Stephen. This moped is currently not connecting to any lights yet. I am currently working on getting the moped running, then will work on the light coil after. Do you think I should be connecting the lights now?(edited)

interesting, never seen this one but before u try get everything ready, grease puller threads, grease up a small washer to fit on that point and distribute the twist, test fit puller all the way in then back of a bit, center bolt in all the way in and then back off a bit. Now take the puller off put the crank nut back on loose.

Blast the area with a torch, nut on (30 sec.) back out the nut, prepped puller on and pop that baby off. Once its all snugged up it should pop in a 1/8 to 1/4 of a turn or so. Whatever u do, dont mash your crank threads, its easy to do.

Send a PM to Reb Mobley

Thank you Pat and Dr no fun, will try your suggestions ;-)

Yeah if you can find a washer to put on the center of the puller that'd be best. You're gonna have to just crank down on that bad boy until it pops off. A lot of time it seems like they're not gonna come off and then you turn the bolt another half turn and BAM it's off. Heating the center with a torch can help too.

Will give that a try, thank you!

I have never seen a US version of the Torrot bikes, so no 'blue wire' to worry about grounding out to allow the coil to spark. Two condensers on these bikes, one in the points the other on the ignition coil. The one on the coil is supposed to be for RF noise suppression not spark quality. I would suggest to worry about the ignition first before the variator if you need/want the bike to be running.

Clean the ignition points with small file and chase off any guck with brake cleaner (NOT abrasive paper and carb cleaner as either will leave shyte behind that will mess with the contact) set the gap at 0,4mm at index and set timing to 1,5-2,0mm BTDC. If no joy then disconnect the points and make sure of continuity when closed and open circuit when open. Check the condenser that is loads and unloads. Check the internal ignition coil, should be 1-2ohm. If still no joy after all of that is correct then check the external coil which is all the heck the way up above the seat post tool box. 2000-4500ohm for secondary to primary depends on which coil they have up there, 1-2ohm for the primary to primary. Make sure you dont have a resistor plug and resistor cap, you need either or none but not both.

Posts above have the opening of the clutch pretty well covered...

Thank you Rebel Moby. Bike is currently running, it is idling fine as well, but the rear wheel keeps turning while idling. When I take the bike off the center stand, I would expect the bike continue to idle, but as soon as the rear wheel touched the ground, engine cutoff which makes me think that the variator is not able to move freely. Not sure how to describe that but will try to show a pic for it. In the picture, red arrow continue to turn and the yellow piece can either turn or stop when bike idling. I believe at this point the yellow n red parts turn together when idling, but I am able to turn the red piece by hand while yellow not moving when I removed the belt, perhaps something is broken inside the variator you thing?

702DFC69-7F92-4A2B-A349-64AF474AE093.jpeg

If the variator is staying engaged then you need to get the front cover off and free up the little starter arms so they do not stay engaged. Open the front cover you will see them and just use some WD40 or penetrating oil to get them to move freely, then chase away all of the penetrating oil with brake cleaner. The arms should be able to rotate on the pivot without any oil because the oil will just chase out with the centrifugal force and contaminate the clutch friction surfaces.

ok, will try that first before trying to take it apart. Thanks!

Thank you very much for your help everyone, penetrating oil seems to have fixed the problem, so happy that I dont have to take the variator apart. I have captured a video, I guess, I cannot attach video here ;-)

> kim koo Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I cannot attach video here ;-)

Upload to you tube , then to here . ;)

Thank you, and will remember that for when I register a youtube acct. ;-)

No, u should pull it off just to mess it up, u have the puller, just do it.

> pat splat Wrote:

> No, u should pull it off just to mess it up, u have the puller, just do

> it.

Fixing stuff that isn't broken is the best way to have a nice bike after all, isn't it?

@Pat and @Nick, I probably would one day, but let me enjoy this bike first as it took me a while to get it running ;-) It would be much nicer if there is service manual or parts are out there for this bike. Rebel Moby has suggested an alternative to install a AV10 motobecane motor with a AV88 head for this frame. Will look into it as a backup motor for it ;-)

Im here for pics of the moped please sir of you don't mind.

Maybe after I finish editing the books I am completing I will have to make a manual for the Torrot...

The original colour supposed to be red, and the previous owner has painted blue when I got it ;-)

4CB4B007-2563-4594-8678-8F7FEDE0408E.jpeg

I will have to take more pics once I am done with the wiring. I only have one pic on my phone ;-)

Nice indeed - they look good as a blue bike - mine are red, my Torrot Mini is red and my Torrot Maxi is orangey.

Cant remember who owned that one but remember someone asking about using the WOVI coil to replace the one hidden way up inside the frame above the toolbox...

It was belong to Chris Kay, I found his posts for help on this forum when I was looking for any information on this Torrot, you and other have helped him back in 2003. He sent it to this local mechanic to get help on it and he never returned for his bike and I ended up got it off from this mechanic in the stage same as when Chris was having issue with getting spark. Long story short, I managed to get it working by fixing the coil broken copper wire and fitted it with one of the lawn mover electronic ignition module which I no longer need to use point and condenser in the ignition system. I am so surprise that it is working out so well with this module, pic attached for anyone wants to know what I am referring to ;-)

9D88C768-F299-4D1F-9AB8-CB5AB7A439B0.jpeg

> kim koo Wrote:

> The original colour supposed to be red, and the previous owner has

> painted blue when I got it ;-)

Those are some of the sexiest bikes with some of the best lines!

These bikes remind me of the 1967 Honda ss50, this victoria is like a little version to the Honda 67

https://www.facebook.com/TheHonda67Factory/

Many great pics of the 67 Honda on this FB page, attached a pic from that site, bike is strong, whole family went into town on it ;-)

CFF0ADC7-AAA8-4F1A-9FD8-398789327993.jpeg

@rebel moby, do you have a spare front brake plate kicking around? Mine decided to crack.

No - sorry no brake carrier spare :(

> Daniel '' Wrote:

> @rebel moby, do you have a spare front brake plate kicking around? Mine

> decided to crack.

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account