Hobbit External Condenser and Coil, No Spark

Hey everyone,

First off, I've never posted on here before so apologies in advance for anything along those lines. I have a 1978 Honda Hobbit running stock point ignition. I had it working a few days ago and was just getting started on tuning the carb for the spring season, but today I get no spark. I recently replaced the condenser and coil (Back in December, haven't gotten to really use it yet) with the one off treatland ( https://www.treatland.tv/black-6v-ignition-coil-external-condenser-p/black-coil-with-condenser.htm ). I just installed a new ground wire running from where the condenser bracket meets the coil,and directly to the case using washers and a screw after reading the comments on the product on treats and after seeing a few forum posts about the importance of grounding. I have the wire running from the coil plugged straight into the black wire coming directly from the engine. The spark plug wire coming from the coil does not have a plug cap on the end, just the wires (stock spark plug cap does not fit on the new wire, will deal with that later). I have been using a drill on the flywheel nut to get the engine to crank in order to identify if I'm getting spark. There is current coming from the end of the spark plug wire, as I held it and touched the case with my hand (decent shock, much stronger than the original condenser and coil ever produced). However, as soon as I try connecting the end of the spark plug wire to the new NGK BH7S plug (running a 65cc DR kit, so plug is not same as stock plug for temperature differences) the plug fails to arc. I cannot determine why there is no spark on the plug but there is when I try just arcing the end of the spark plug wire directly to the frame. Any advice would be appreciated. I've looked at every connection and checked points and gaps, everything checks out visually. Do not have the rectifier wired currently, however from what I understand this shouldn't change the ability of it to spark. I have not examined anything up top, that being the kill switch for corrosion or the connections within the headlight assembly. Hoping someone out there has had similar issues and can offer up any ideas they see fit. Just want to rip this thing now that everyone is quarantined

Re: Hobbit External Condenser and Coil, No Spark

Obviously , you need a new , properly functioning , spark plug .

And , get a decent cap for it .(edited)

Barack Obama /

£

FE2C966F-B19A-45B0-A819-72B52EF47AF6.jpeg

Here is the current wiring set up. Not sure what should be done with the points if anything. Connection 1 is the black wire coming from the magneto. 2 is the new ground I wired directly to the case from the bracket on the condenser. The spark plug wire has current, but not enough to get a spark plug to fire.

image.jpg

Barack Obama /

U gotta ground that condenser and coil!

> Barack Obama Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> U gotta ground that condenser and coil!

They are grounded , but , maybe not enough of a ground .(edited)

Barack Obama /

I had this problem a few weekends ago. Long story short I picked up a free HondA pa50ii and I couldn’t get and spark just like so I decided to build a circuit I know works.

I will make a video & post it, I’m using a puch screw top condenser and a Motobecane secondary coil but the idea is all the same

Barack Obama /

This is just an example,I’m the only one that translate those wires not based on color lol(edited)

Barack Obama /

I meant to call the white box a secondary coil* my bad first video definitely rushed it!

What ever works . ;)

When I pulled My FA50 out of a barn , the OEM coil was done .

I wanted to ride and the 6 dollar China coil hadn't arrived yet .

I had an early '50s Evenrude outboard stator coil and hooked it up .

Went for a ride . :)

Thank you guys for all the helpful info. I ended up making a better ground and that helped some. Ended up pulling the points off to inspect them, tightened them back on and the arc was 10x stronger. Not sure why this was the fix seeing as I did not do anything except take them off and retighten them but the change was astonishing. I'm thinking they must have just loosened up a little tiny bit and were not opening properly. I do think that the heavier ground did help, but no matter I'm happy it is working. Thank you again

Looks remarkably like the coil/condensor used on the nc50 express.

> Matt Malusky Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Thank you guys for all the helpful info. I ended up making a better

> ground and that helped some. Ended up pulling the points off to inspect

> them, tightened them back on and the arc was 10x stronger. Not sure why

> this was the fix seeing as I did not do anything except take them off

> and retighten them but the change was astonishing. I'm thinking they

> must have just loosened up a little tiny bit and were not opening

> properly. I do think that the heavier ground did help, but no matter I'm

> happy it is working. Thank you again

Good it's doing better .

Wire size / connection size : it's kinda like a valve on a faucet . Little wire = faucet open a little with trickle of fluid . Big wire / connection = faucet open a lot with more than enough fluid flow . ;)

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account