Re: Peugeot Suicide Prevention Hotline (a.k.a. why wont it run???)

Went over everything again today and it seemed like it was leaking more air today than yesterday but I noticed the head bolts were starting to loosen a hair so I tightened them up again and the air leak was gone. I'm still not able to get it to run on the stand without having the wheel spin with a bit of speed but I'm going to keep hunting down any leaks and trying to tune my carb a bit better. Also going to order some jets in the 60's and new gaskets from treats.

Well I got an air leak again, just as bad as it started out. I finally have a compression tester and I'm down to 70 psi and spraying some carb cleaner I found the leak around the intake. I took the engine off the bike, took the clutch and ignition off, and put a new gasket between the intake and the reeds and then between the reeds and the crankcase.

I put the engine back on and started installing the ignition again and when I was trying to set the timing I noticed that the piston is getting stuck right when it covered the exhaust port. I took the head and cylinder off and its still getting stuck. I think something must have fallen in the crank because when I was jiggling it, it would occasionally make a full revolution or two before getting stuck again in a different spot.

God damn this fucking bike. I don't have the energy do deal with taking the engine off tonight to figure out whats going on but I'll look into it more tomorrow.

It was a circlip from the piston. Don't know how it broke and got in there but looking in the crank with a flashlight I don't see any damage so I'm gonna assume it broke and fell in right before I finished putting everything back together. Wacky.

I just went and ordered: new circlips, some more jets (60-68 evens), a new needle, gaskets, le partie CDI, new bolts for the CDI, a nut for the cdi, and a flywheel remover for the CDI. Maybe my peugeot will love me now?

A positive update! Got all my parts today, spent some time cleaning all mating surfaces, cleaning out the crank a bit, and prepping the bike. Got everything installed pretty easily, the wiring for the CDI was much easier than I expected. I up jetted to 68, replaced my slightly swollen needle, and replaced the gaskets, started up first kick easier than it has before. After a bit of messing with my idle screw its running on the stand with no choke without the back wheel spinning. A much nicer tuk tuk tuk noise instead of the faster revving I was having with air leaks. Sprayed everything down and didn't notice any shift in pitch at any point.

I went for a ride, came to a complete stop after a mile and was able to make it home just as well the last mile. No more loss of power like before. Also no more bogging when I give it too much throttle, just a nice gradual ramp up in speed and was able to hit 34mph according to my GPS which sounds right considering what I'm running.

Thank you all for all the help! Maybe I'll ride to the beach tomorrow.

Of all the updates/upgrades I made to my 103, the CDI was the biggest game changer.

Congratulations.

Great!! Now just get you brake light working so your legal eagle.

It will involve a redirection of your brake light wiring and you must swap out your brake light switches for these

I don't even have a brake light currently just a tail light, unless that's supposed to be my brake light? Guess I can turn that into my brake light if I don't need a tail light to be street legal. Still need to register my bike but I'm not sure if the DMV is even doing registrations at the moment, plus take my motorcycle license test but I'm hoping I can just feign ignorance if I get pulled over.

I went out for a longer ride today, round trip of 14 miles. Didn't run into a single issue besides my handlebars coming loose but thankfully I sewed myself a roll up tool pouch last night and brought a wrench with me. On the downside of todays ride, I never noticed how ugly the area I live in is.

> Nico . Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> On the downside of todays ride, I never noticed how ugly the area I

> live in is.

You forgot your blinders ? Big mistake . There's a reason some folks wear rose colored glasses . ;)

Longest trip yet! Hit 50 miles yesterday, even crashed for the first time (who the tires wouldn't hold in sand?) I bent the tab holding the chain tensioner so I had to push start it the rest of the day and my headlight dangled until I got home but it started back up with no issue once I dusted myself off.

Un-related question, Im running a 68 jet currently and was thinking of trying some larger ones maybe through the mid 70's and see how they perform. Can I use any jet brand or do only dellorto jets fit in a dellorto carb?

If this bike has the cable choke set up with the lever on the handlebars, Start ridding at WOT with the bike a reg temp. At top speed SLOWLY squeeze the choke lever. If you feel the bike perkup at any point then it is safe to say that you can add a jet. If the bike just starts to loose power before it perks up you are jetted as fat as you can jet.

If when you barely start to close the choke the bikes starts to blub well then you can go down a jet.

Are you starting to get this about Air/Fuel mixes?

Thanks for the advice, I think I'm starting to understand the air/fuel stuff a bit better, your explanation makes sense to me at least. I don't have a cable choke its just a little push lever but I can kind of stick my foot in there and push it down so I'll try that out tomorrow!

See what an automotive machine shop will charge to install a thread insert (often known as a 'Helicoil,' though other brands or types are used) into the head rather than purchasing a new one. Or, you can do it yourself if you purchase a kit, likely available through eBay. The insert will be steel and will last forever.

Mark Kinsler

Dude dont wreck trying that. You can do the same thing really on the stand if you have an ear for it.

your a trooper nico.

Thanks pat. So I snapped a chain today going down PCH, had a friend pick me up and after calling some motorcycle and bike shops I found one with some 415 chain. I managed to replace it with the tools I had but I noticed that if I left the chain a bit loose it had this weird bumping 2-3 every rotation, but if I tightened it by moving the rear wheel back the wheel got super stiff. I've got it somewhere in the middle now, no bumping but the wheel is a little stiffer than before. Is this normal?

P.s. if anyone needs motorcycle stuff in OC / Costa Mesa check out Gustin Motorsports, super nice guys and they had a bunch of cool bikes, even a trail 70.

repack wheel bearings, check brakes, lube lines, grease pulley its all maintenance.

Just an update for anyone that's still following this thread. Seems like I've gotten past all the finicky stuff on this bike and got it ripping. I've probably put about 300 miles on it in the past month with little issues. I was getting a top speed of about 36 according to my phone, but most of the time I cruised around 32.

Obviously I needed more speed if I wanted to be cool.

I bit the bullet and put in a big treats order and got myself an SHA 15.15, Malossi 4 petal reed block, and an MLM Techno EDM Circuit pipe along with some other odds and ends like lights and grips. Took me about all day to get everything put on there and there were some problems with the carb mounting on the intake but Pat came through once again with a shim. I spent a bit of time re-jetting, started off with a 78 in hopes it would rip with that and worked my way down until it stopped four stroking which was at a 72.

I ran a compression test and jumped up from 90 psi on my old set up to 115 psi now, I think my old reeds were leaking a bit. I didn't get much of a chance to ride once I got everything dialed in but I took it around the block and wow this thing is crazy now. The low end seemed about the same, maybe a hair better and its a bit quieter now. The mid range had much better acceleration and felt much more powerful. Then the high end was just insane, after working through the mid range it felt like it kinda plateaued but then I started to feel it accelerate again and I was pretty happy with it, but then it just started absolutely flying. I almost thought it died for a second because the normal engine vibration seemingly disappeared and the engine actually got quieter, but it just started absolutely hauling and I had to let off the gas before I got to see where it would stop.

Gotta test the speed tomorrow and do some plug chops but I'm feeling pretty good about it.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account