Re: My new 89 Brown Bullet A3 won’t start? Could use help with some

Jeremiah Johnson /

Thank you again for helping point me in the right direction! I’m having to go through these now.

Jeremiah Johnson /

Anyone have success with an aftermarket carb or a specific rebuild kit for the 89 A3? If so can you share the specifics please (web site link etc?)

♣Slew Foot♣ /

Carbs are plenty dude if you think its the carb. Personaly its an electric or do you pre mix or rely in the oil injector.

Jeremiah Johnson /

Hey, I’m all ears still. I just know I’m still getting fuel leaking out of the air intake of the carb still such that it pools in the little crankcase scoop that the carb sits in. I took the carb apart and tried to clean things without a rebuild kit and put it back together and it still leaks. I’m not yet thinking that’s why it won’t turn over but was just making preparations to fix the leaky carb.

I premix the fuel and don’t see that it’s an oil injection as there just one fuel line going into the carb along with the throttle.

I’m going to work on it some tomorrow hoping to see if I can test the magneto coil’s and condenser. Although I’m not sure yet how to test that. I have to dig through the service manuals and hope that there’s instructions in there on how to check those with a VOM.

Still appreciating the help man, I had to take a few days off as I was getting worked up about troubleshooting this thing and work picked up so there’s that.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

Take the line out and put a screw in the oil hole on intake

Jeremiah Johnson /

U talking about the carb? I’m thinking this model was sold to mix fuel/oil in the gas tank from factory. There is no oil reservoir on this bike therefore I don’t see any hole to plug. But.... but, I’m not even in the same universe as an expert on this magical unicorn scooter.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

Continuity audio setting. It will waver when the points open. If all the wirings right all the switches and bulbs are good. Got a ngk 7us or hotter 6 or 5. Buy a condenser to mount externally just to trouble shoot.

The ht can be triggered using a 9 v battery neg to bike ground positive to triggerterminal on it. Coils need to be isolated to check a a battery and a paperclip When charged it magnetized if it's bad it will heat up where the short is

Jeremiah Johnson /

Ok, I’m on a canoe trip for 3 days but will get back on this golden colored turd as soon as I get back. Before I left I finally got the other project (99 Yamaha 350 ATV) running again after a new ignition switch, carb rebuild and finally a plug (Rebuilt the carb 2 times and redid float 4 times cuz it wouldn’t start again, put a new plug in and it fired right up. The plug threw me off cuz the bike ran before I rebuilt the carb). Feeling hopeful now on the moped. I’m going to try a NEW plug in the moped also since it’s doing the same damn thing.

Have a rockin weekend and I’ll keep ya up. Jeremiah

Jeremiah Johnson /

Hey quick question, I can’t find examples or instructions on how to do an external mounted condenser. Does this involve soldering wires and extending them and how is it mounted. I’m running up to the auto store to get a strap wrench to help break the flywheel nut free so I can get a better look at the points and all. My initial ohm check of the ignition points coil seemed suspect (black wire to ground). I’m wondering if at some time you wouldn’t mind a swift call to discuss. I understand if not, not looking to be mentioned as a true stalker.

Jeremiah

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account