Re: Bianchi Eagle - 1979?

Michael Branscombe /

nope it was just stuck. did some errands, came back. whacked it some more and it moved down. put the wrench on it again, and this time I could move it back and forth, in a minute it would do a full rotation, about 5 minutes later I had the cylinder off, and pulled the piston out, put in a container and sprayed it with carb cleaner.

didn't see anything in the cylinder that looked like damage to me beyond what would say this thing might just need a hone and a set of rings, but I just gave it all a quick look. a touch of scuffing on one side of the piston, but we'll see how it cleans up. I figured it would need a bore and new piston at best if it was usable, but maybe I'll get lucky.

Jeremy Homser /

Glad to hear you got it off

Michael Branscombe /

> Jeremy Homser Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Glad to hear you got it off

thanks. me too. never had a stuck motor before, so happy to have worked through that part of it. Half tempted to just clean up the piston and rings and put them back and compression test the thing. Piston does seem to have some staining or discoloration from sitting. Not sure if that is bad or not. Rings look pretty shiny after a quick clean.

Post pics of both piston and cylinder .

> Half tempted to just clean up the

> piston and rings and put them back and > compression test the thing.

I've done that in at least 2 motors. If the rings aren't horrible and have some "spring" left to them, get the rings and piston cleaned up and do a little bit of sanding in the cylinder to clean up some rust there, reassemble, and give it a go.

A motorcycle mechanic felt that the action of the rings might clean up the cylinder as well. I'm not sure I would go riding the bike, but at least you can give things a listen and see if it sounds like something horrific is wrong with the motor.

In all reality, though, if the motor took a month to free up, I would worry about bearings and seals. I would plan on a rebuild if I were you.

Michael Branscombe /

I'll take and post some pics.

yea, I doubt the crank seals are still good and although the lower end seems smooth and no vertical rod play, it is all suspect bearings etc. I'll probably try it as it is though first before thinking rebuild.

Will find time to muck with it again tomorrow for a while. If it is possible to run it with what's there, I'll probably do it, just so I can go over the electrical and get it checked and time,d and get all the other systems set up, gas, controls, brakes, wheels, steering, etc … basically go over the entire thing head to toe.

Michael Branscombe /

few pics of cylinder, cleaned it quickly with a scotch bright pad

cylinder1.jpg
cylinder2.jpg
cylinder3.jpg

Michael Branscombe /

few pics of piston

piston_top.jpg
piston_side1.jpg
piston_side2.jpg

I don't see anything seriously wrong .

I'd give the cylinder a light hone , just to clean/level any possible high spots .

Then , use an exacto type knife ( very sharp point ) and score top and bottom of each ring were it meets the piston , all the way around . Drop the piston , top down , into some penetrating fluid or diesel oil or even gasoline . Let that soak in along side the rings before gently trying to free them from their landings .

Maybe have to repeat the 'procedure' before complete success .

Once the rings have been removed and cleaned , clear the landings and reinstall the rings . (edited)

Michael Branscombe /

I got a little impatient with the rings and snapped them getting them off, but I figured a good hone and new rings was likely in order anyway.

Took the fuel fitting off the bottom of the tank, was plugged. Cleaning it all out, can't seem to get gas to go through it. I can poke a small copper wire just about all the way down through it, but gas does not seem to go through it correctly. Have it soaking in mixed gas with some fuel system cleaner. Gave the piston grooves a quick scrub and put in same solution to soak.

External coil looked like junk, looked for what to get and the mount on the moped is like 22mm center to center, but I'm not finding any basic coils that can mount to that. Can anyone suggest? Also - might just get a new piston with rings - any suggestions there? Would like to put this thing back together in the next week and start on the electrical.

I may get a bunch of parts from Myrons, they seem to know what they are doing. (edited)

Use a piece of the broken ring to clean out the slot in the piston.

Michael Branscombe /

Think I'm going to end up with a new piston, found a chip in the bottom of the one I have and don't really dig it if I'm going to go through the trouble, might as well have a good top end.

Michael Branscombe /

oh, the saving grace for the crank if it is still good, seems OK, is that both the intake port and exhaust port were closed by the piston as it sat for a couple decades.

Michael Branscombe /

anyone know of a wiring diagram I can use for this? I guess I could just trace all the wires and figure out what they did, but a diagram would make that process faster if anyone has one.

Michael Branscombe /

got new piston, honed cylinder and cleaned things up and installed.

installed fan housing

installed carb

installed exhaust

installed fuel tank and connected to carb

rig electric to run with on/off switch but, bypassed brake switches grounding to frame

started motor, was kind of a hassle - did not want to start, wasn't sure what to do with adjusting needle - started and stalled a couple times, pretty sure I flooded it …

finally got started, ran it for 5 minutes until motor was good and hot - left it for a few hours.

started it again, much easier this time, got motor hot again, left it

clutch seems to spin back wheel all the time, it also seems to slip if I kick the pedal real hard trying to start it … not sure if that is an issue, or if I just need to adjust cables etc.

next to rig up brake switches, and lights … think my brake cables might get here mid week, so I can give it a quick spin …

Michael Branscombe /

rigged a brake cable … rode this around for a good 2 hours today, just heating up the motor and slowly running it harder to break in the top end.

it is hard to start .. does not idle .. and seems to flood out if I load the motor too much -- by too much I mean, me at 280 lbs trying to go up a hill - eventually it will die out - and then miss and either slowly lose power or clear up and run fine again.

when I've had it running, seems to go pretty good, buzzed around rides good … not sure how to adjust clutch, seems to always want to go even when disengaged, but using the pedals as a kick start it will slip if you're not carful so - maybe I just don't know how to use it, maybe it needs an adjustment, maybe it needs a repair … maybe it will break in again after 30 years of sitting. have standard 30 weight oil in the transmission.

running gas at about 25:1 for break in .. might contribute to it wanting to flood out .. but, it could also be electrical, still uncertain on it. did try running an external condenser, but it seemed to run the same so disconnected it.

and I am running a 40 year old snowmobile coil for a rotax motor, so - not sure that is ideal, but it seems to work.

all in all - pretty neat to get the thing running again … tires were good enough to get this far, but can see they are splitting and could be dangerous .. so, need to find some new ones.

Michael Branscombe /

motor seems to run good now, so - cleaning things up, doing a little touch up work.

bianchi-panel-stripped.jpg

primed ready for some blue paint

parts-primed.jpg

need to get the new tires mounted and get this stuff painted and installed. sill some other nitpicky work to take care of, redoing a little electrical here and there, but starting to come together.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account