Green Puch of my dreams, magneto nightmare

I came up on this 2 speed Puch in the emerald green color I believe it’s called with the mags, I have always wanted one and finally I got one. It was pretty beat being left outside for years, driving back home I kept thinking why did I spend money on this piece of junk moped, it had a flat tire, cobwebs, surface rust everywhere, and the gas tank more crusty than a Seattle grunge band. Driving home with it I couldn’t believe I was that dumb to pay $325 for this heap. I did the evapo rust, and the tank is pretty clean now. Now I’m extremely happy I did buy it since it did clean up pretty good, however I was getting no spark and removed the cover to the magneto, no screws holding it on, and this is what I find, <Pics below> I’ve never messed with a magneto before and this is a bit out of my league. I can’t imagine what someone was thinking to do this.

11888E24-A40A-4282-9BDF-E0121E38A38B.jpeg
DAF71DEF-AD71-492B-A090-5A711E155352.jpeg
A1775447-8535-4AC8-B279-3C43A76AFC14.jpeg

Re: Green Puch of my dreams, magneto nightmare

Looks like it's just missing a few of screws and spacers .

Look at the bottom coils and copy that set up . Take a screw and a spacer to the hardware for comparison . Likely get back home having spent less than 2 bucks .

And , clean the rust off those bottom coils and any that might be inside the flywheel . There is a flywheel , right ? Or ???

Download the manual. It has pictures of how to and how the mag works

Overpriced Parts /

Just post for a new used one on buy+sell

Pushrod Fifty /

Get some plastic shim stock of the correct gap and set it over the coil. Put the flywheel on and the magnet will pull the coil up to the flywheel at the right gap. Tighten the screws, remove the shim, and check points, replace condenser with an external one.

Check inside the magneto, the missing hardware might be magnetized up in there even

Will do

Actually not as bad as it looks. I would take ohm readings from each coil to ground.

Yellow, grey, green and I think blue.

I probably have a stator plate in the garage, or bits and pieces, I can look if ya need one. probably change that seal out while your in there.

Do you have the flywheel for that mess ?

I cleaned what I could with brake cleaner, screwed the armatures back, and clean the points and got spark. I spun it with a drill and couldn’t believe I saw some sparks in there! Pulled the spark plug out, put it in the boot on the cylinder, and pedaled and there was a nice fat spark! Stoked, I sprayed some brake cleaner in the cylinder, threaded a new spark plug right after, started pedaling and nothing. No pop nothing. Checked for spark again, got spark repeated with the spray and nothing. I thought I was home free. Got spark but won’t fire up with carb spray in the cylinder is stumping me.

Fuel flow?

What exactly are you using for cleaner ? Carb or brake ?

Note that chlorinated cleaners are non-flammable.

Pushrod Fifty /

And both will eat your crank seals.(edited)

> Pushrod Fifty Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> And both will eat your crank seals.

Both carb cleaners ...

Brake cleaner evaporates too quickly to do any damage . ;)

Check compression?

I know electrical is everyone’s worst nightmare for a first project but this really isn’t that bad. Buy the screws and spacers you need to get those coils back in place. Then look up how to set the timing and point gap on YouTube or something. Lastly, put 3-4 layers of packing tape on the outside of each coil, put the bell on and loosen all of the screws so the coils get pulled out into place right next to the magnets in the bell. Then tighten the screws, remove bell and tape, then put everything back together.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account