Rebuilding chokes

I know you can get a new one from China with a 2 month wait for about 10 dollars but did anyone ever try rebuilding one of these? It looks fairly simple. The black plastic piece on top is broken. The o rings are also damaged. You have to drill out the rivet on top and maybe tap it for a screw. Then 3d print the plastic piece and replace the o- rings. Most people would probably say just throw it in the garbage and replace it. But I figured someone can rebuild them so it could last more than 6 months. (edited)

IMG_20200521_142634135.jpg

Re: Rebuilding chokes

Pushrod Fifty /

Rebuilt original parts are better than new Chinese parts. Use FKM or Viton rubber. You can get orings or small sheets at mcmaster-carr.com

whats broken? clean it and put a nice wad of that epoxy that you mix with your fingers, shape it to whatever shape u want.

Dirty30 Dillon /

I've had pull chokes on original 80's carbs thatt work great. If you are breaking these in 6 months, something is wrong.

Ok I left the bike outside and the weather ruined the seals.

And for the other question, the black plastic piece has huge cracks in it and also when you pull the choke it doesn't stay out like it's supposed to.

todd amundson /

Cant replace those black caps. They’re riveted on

> todd amundson Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Cant replace those black caps. They’re riveted on

Isn't that the exact reason drill bits were invented ? ;)

todd amundson /

Yes but you destroy the rivet which is the end of the brass choke shaft itself. The end of the 1 1/2” choke shaft is the rivet. Destroy the end, no more use

> todd amundson Wrote:

> Yes but you destroy the rivet which is the end of the brass choke shaft

> itself. The end of the 1 1/2” choke shaft is the rivet. Destroy the end,

> no more use

What ? Drill just the rivet , not what holds it .

todd amundson /

Shit on the left is shit on the right with rivet removed. How the fuck are you going to reattach it dummy? The assembly is toast once you removed the cap. Learn how to dance.

03C0E51C-C309-4715-B3C4-169A8BB96169.jpeg

i would drill/tap and put a screw in, fixed.

> Steven S Wrote:

> i would drill/tap and put a screw in, fixed.

Exactly that^ .

Now who is the dummy ?

There's always more than one way around a bush . ;)

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account