Village idiot award - fuel tank edition

mike houlihan /

77 puch maxi. Cleaning tank with vinegar and salt for second time and decided to put some bits bolts and bearings in there to shake anything loose. Chunks of black stuff came out but none of the nuts bolts and bearings did as there is a lip on the inside of the gas tank unbenounced to me. How do I get these out? Magnet? Screw grabber of some kind? Just shoot me. My parts all arrive tomorrow.

Re: Village idiot award - fuel tank edition

Chris Thornton /

hold the tank up right and try and shimmy the bolts to right below the fill hole,then quickly flip er upside down and hope some fall out.kinda like getting a guitar pick out of a guitar lol.

Telescoping magnet tool might help too

I have this bendy magnet it’s basically a magnet on the end of a thick strand of copper.... saves my ass constantly

F4C4260F-1325-45A9-BDCD-98D8C043690D.jpeg

I keep a strong dognut magnet , a magnet on a wand ( both flexible and telescopic ) and a claw grabber on hand for just such occasions .

Emil Kniemel /

Hire a small child to fish them out.

dental pic may do it...

Shake and hop method. Shake the tank upside down, then "hop" the bolts and stuff over the lip by jerking your arms up and down.

Don’t worry about what you can’t get. They won’t hurt anything, and fuel flows right around them.

Michael Branscombe /

violent shaking gets my vote, don't drop the tank and damage it though

Paul Funyun /

Dump a magnet in there... at least subdue that angelic rattling every time you hit a pothole.

mike houlihan /

Had them out in a hour once I regained my composure but needed the small hands of one of my kids and a pair of tweezers to get them out at a $1 a piece. Don’t put shit like this in your puch maxi tanks people...

3D83A624-DD8C-4278-9E82-6593E008631B.jpeg

Smart kid . But , he shouldda held out for 2 bucks a piece . ;)

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account