Grimeca 17's on a 77 maxi with stock hubs

mike houlihan /

Can anyone tell me if the classic 17" puch grimeca five start mag RIM will fit plug and play on my 77 stock maxi wheels without alteration, meaning can I simply bolt the hubs onto the grimecas and go? Thanks

treatland grimecas

Re: Grimeca 17's on a 77 maxi with stock hubs

If you have a set of 5star puch wheels that are complete, you can just slap them right on your maxi. If they are another brand you may either lose your pedal chain or have to do something extra special to get a sprocket on there that will work for a puch. Pics?

mike houlihan /

Richard Eberline /

NO NO and NO

Dirty30 Dillon /

Yeah, you need to purchase the 5-star specific bolt-in hubs.

If you buy a complete set of Puch wheels your fine. Hubss are integral to most wheels as well as your spoke wheels, you can't remove them without unlacing the rim. And even then they won't fit anything other than spokes.

like they said 5 stars do have removable hubs and you will need them as well as brake plates to use those.

I was afraid that is what you were trying to do. So yeah. The hubs do not interchange between those wheel sets.

Mark Younggren /

I am able to take my pedal sprocket from my spoke rim and put on my grimace rims or I have to lose my pedal sprocket switching to these new rims?

mike houlihan /

good question. i will take a look at the 5 stars i have and see if it is on them. my guess is yes and its diffeerent

Overpriced Parts /

Puch 5 star mag rims and spoke Rims use the same brake plate and brake shoes snowflake mag rims are different they use a bigger plate and shoes

Mark Younggren /

So I found out you have to drill out to 12mm On the front Leleu hub that treats sells with the 17ij gremica wheel kit. Which seems odd it wouldn’t fit and they never say anything about having to modify it.

The freewheel from a Puch spoke wheel will fit on a 5-star.

Mark Younggren /

China, thank you that what I needed to know . Now the question will I need make will it make the job a hell of a lot easier getting the freewheel remover tool or are there are special tricks?

Alex Fredericksen /

if you got a couple bucks to spare you can just go down to a bicycle shop and buy a regular single speed/bmx freewheel. It will screw right onto the five stars. You can pick whatever amount of teeth you want as well. change your gearing so when you have to pedal home it's actually worth a damn.

Mark Younggren /

Alex..... fair enough. I am sure amazon is cheap too. The more teeth the the easier it will be, right?

Alex Fredericksen /

Eff Amazon, support local. Local has "instant" shipping. You actually want a smaller gear so you have a usable gain with the gears. Stock gearing is almost 1:1. Get a 18t or 16t freewheel. Still easy pedaling, like bmx gearing.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account