Re: Everything Tomos sucks...prove me wrong

> BBD 83 Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Let me rephrase, he DID pull the flywheel to file the points. When I

> asked him how he put it back in he said I dunno, I just put it back on.

> It spun free so I figured it was good.

If he doesn't know squat about mounting a flywheel , what makes you think he knows anything about points , let alone doing them right ?

Assume nothing .

If you want it done right , do it yourself .

Here's a pic of what I found after pulling the flywheel. Stator plate crooked, points not right, not sure if (new) condenser wires are right, flywheel not on channel/pin. Fixed flywheel mounting, cleaned and gapped points, set stator plate and timing. BUT none of that matters much when I'm not getting a voltage reading from the primary (black) stator wire. Yellow gives a reading, black is dead when kicking. Thinking of going this route...

https://www.treatland.tv/tomos-A3-A35-and-A55-complete-cdi-plus-many-frien-p/tomos-cdi-rehab.htm

IMG_20200604_111805467.jpg

Don't give up too quick .

That looks like it will work . All the wires look to be intact , are they ?

Did you make sure the charge coil is good ? Maybe test it independently .

Is the condenser known good ?

The points need to be spotless . Even a finger print can foul them .

I use brake cleaner and compressed air and if there's still a question , I follow that with running a clean dollar bill through closed points a few times . The bill is abrasive enough to pull small particles and oils out .

Is the flywheel the correct one ?

And , once you get spark , oil the felt cam lube wick .

Appreciate your feedback P D but I just don't know what else to check. I filed the points, blew em' off with my compressor, cleaned them with contact cleaner and then finished with cig pack paper. Condenser is brand new. All wiring seems intact and I even check the primary coil grounding. I just plain am getting nothing from the primary black wire. What do mean by charging coil. The external ignition coil is a new red coil, cable, cap and plug and it ohms tests proper.

> BBD 83 Wrote:

> What do mean by charging coil.

The coil that provides the charge for the ignition .

You might test the points independently to be sure that the positive side isn't grounded .

There has to be some cause for no charge . It's likely simple . Finding it is the hard part .

Dirty30 Dillon /

> P D Wrote:

> You might test the points independently to be sure that the positive

> side isn't grounded .

I've had this happen where the points wore out the isolator on the pivot.

Also, your cam follower is pretty worn, are you sure you're even getting cont. break when you turn it over? Testing your coil and stator for cont. takes like 5 minutes and would probably immediately point to the issue.

How do I do that properly?

♣Slew Foot♣ /

The yellow out goes to regulator the black the HT coil. Take off splitter that goes to killswitch.from ht coil.

SUCCESS....kind of. Got spark. Found that the points weren't opening, took em off, checked everything on the stator plate, put the points back on. Ran out of light and didn't have the proper stuff to set the timing correct so I did my best, put everything back together and got spark for the first time ever. Went to try to fire it up and I've got carb issues, bad petcock, bla bla so didn't get fire but then I lost the spark. Fiddled with the points again and it came back and after kicking some I lost spark again but that's the first time this bike has ever sparked in my or 2 other peoples possession. Not 100% sure why the spark is being lost but I'm guessing because the points just weren't set right or the timing...not sure. I'll take it as a win for now and get back to it tomorrow.

Check the cam in the flywheel . It has to be smooth .

I'm guessing that the follower on the points is wearing down , closing the points ...

Maybe try a new set of points .

Ordered new points. They wanna stay closed even after adjustment and timing set. Closed=grounded which would explain no reading on meter from black stator wire. Hopefully a $25 solution as opposed to $150 with just a touch more resilience.

Points can be troublesome. I was havongnissues with spark due to my points being improperly set back up when I replaced them. The plastic washers were not separating the metal pieces causingnrhe points to always be in contact even when open so no spark could happen. Once I properly spaced them the spark was big and bright. Check that the points are not grounding themselves out. But a new set is a good idea to have on hand as backup.

> P D Wrote:

> Assume nothing .

>

> If you want it done right , do it yourself .

This^^ To be a successful mechanic you first need to be an excellent detective.

Yes..and never trust your partners haha! Got new points coming, they're just plain worn out so yes, grounding. New ones and we should be in business! Petcock doesn't stop flowing but I robbed one of a Tomos skeleton I got in an alley, 14/12 choke is broke but can sort out all that b.s. once I get a proper spark. Glad I didn't give up and drop 150 on a new stator/cdi.

You have proven yourself wrong on thinking tomos suck. Good work.

Nope. Still sucks. I'm literally willing to lose 300 on this thing right now just to set it on fire. Brand new points, 0 spark.

Alright, splurged on the A35 stator/flywheel CDI combo from treats. Anything to look out for, tips or anything like that cuz if I do all this and it still don't run I'm gonna lose my marbles...

THIS THREAD IS FINALLY DEAD. Swapped stator, flywheel and CDI. Instant spark, ped is running.

> BBD 83 Wrote:

> THIS THREAD IS FINALLY DEAD. Swapped stator, flywheel and CDI. Instant

> spark, ped is running.

Good it running , but , you still don't know exactly what the problem was .

Glad it is running strong for you now. I'm still curious about your points. I had a garelli with no spark sorry a minute. Changed points still nothing. Figured out I hooked up the points incorrectly after really diving in again. Now it is Blasty McFasterson!

♣Slew Foot♣ /

CEV taillight safety override. Could screw you up . any wiring fault or cracked resistorblock. No go but still got a bitty spark not enough to fire the compressed cylinder tho. And then you got a condenser ...

> P D Wrote:

> > BBD 83 Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > THIS THREAD IS FINALLY DEAD. Swapped stator, flywheel and CDI. Instant

>

> > spark, ped is running.

>

> Good it running , but , you still don't know exactly what the problem

> was .

True but I fought this thing long enough. Tried everything conceivable and the primary coil was just plain faulty, period. The stator/flywheel/CDI combo was way worth it and a solid upgrade from points.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account