No play with 505 internal clutch arm?

Engine (and bike) is 90% done, but I can't install the clutch arm without it getting jammed up against the bell. And I mean really jammed up there - I've got no play at all when I pull my clutch cable, and that's even with the adjustment screw off.

Wondering if the arm might've gotten bent at some point, or whether I installed the clutch assembly wrong? I've read all about the infamous Sachs shim, but I can't see how that would be the problem as the clutch bell sits in a little recess inside the crankshaft.... could it be something wrong with the alignment of the crank?

Image from iOS (19).jpg
Image from iOS (21).jpg
Image from iOS (20).jpg

Re: No play with 505 internal clutch arm?

♣Slew Foot♣ /

Dude missing money shot s

Pivot bell. Is there any play in clutch?

Did you stick a washer before the bell like the old manual shows. It wrong pry it out get new seal.

Is the clutch “stack” sliding freely on the splined shaft?

Very important

all the above. my firm suspicion is you've got the stack in wrong somewhere, specifically i'm envisioning the double D shaped spacer under the bell is pinched on the end lip and not actually over the shaft. You could share some internal pics tho, might help us see

Hey all, was away from my folks’ place and just getting back to this project. The issue remains - absolutely 0 play with the arm. I took some shots, below.

#1 is the clutch without the arm assembly and bell

#2 is with the arm assembly. The brass pin pictures is unscrewed as far as possible But there’s still no play between the arm and the bell.

B3FB3672-1F74-48CB-AF58-AE6203E9E328.jpeg
284EEAA1-4D33-436A-B400-0A9DAD9C211A.jpeg
« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account