Recently purchased 2 1977 Motobecane moped.

Bryan Jackson /

Just purchased two 1977 Motobecane mopeds last night. I went to start them up today and had no luck. Before I bought them I took them for a ride and they ran beautifully. Now today both wont start and they are leaking a little bit of gas. I reached out to the guy and he said it sounds like I flooded the engines. The guy had them for over 10 years and took good care of them and even gave me a printed out manual that he downloaded from here. He told me I flooded the engine ( i did try to start both about 5 times each) and to let them sit for a day or so. Is there anything else that i should do? These are my first mopeds so I am not very knowledgeable.

IMG_1380.jpg

Re: Recently purchased 2 1977 Motobecane moped.

Pushrod Fifty /

Did you transport them laying down, if so the gas may have filled the crankcase. I would change the spark plug because it is probably fouled now. Dont hold the choke any more than 1 or 2 pedal turns or it will flood. Let off of the decomp as soon as the engine starts turning over by pedaling. Turn the gas off a little distance before you stop to park it. Stick with one until you get it nailed down.

Pushrod Fifty /

Is the orange one a hard tail? I think I saw those posted on cl.

Bryan Jackson /

I had them leaning on the sides of my truck with a slight tilt definitely not straight up. Im afraid to even tinker around with these things because they're so old and i dont know a damn thing about them. Yea these were definitely them. What state are you located ?

Pushrod Fifty /

Old Saybrook, CT. Try cranking it over full throttle with the gas off to clear the excess fuel from the engine. Then try to start it. Search online for the operators manual. Mobys start right up when done right but one misstep and your out of breath real quick.

You want you can bring it over and Ill take a look. I am in Noank alot and can meet you there its a little closer.

read, get some tools n go for it.

Bryan, solicit this persons helps and mentoring (Pushrod Fifty), his guidance will help you understand mopeds and get them buggers up and running sweet.

> Pushrod Fifty Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Old Saybrook, CT. Try cranking it over full throttle with the gas off to

> clear the excess fuel from the engine. Then try to start it. Search

> online for the operators manual. Mobys start right up when done right

> but one misstep and your out of breath real quick.

>

> You want you can bring it over and Ill take a look. I am in Noank alot

> and can meet you there its a little closer.

Tweaker trash /

They both won’t start! Holy shit that guy is good

Sounds like you definitely need to close the petcock of both bikes every time you shut down. Most of my Moby's HATED The choke, take plug out, dry off/clean, let engine air out, replace try start up procedure without choke, a note, horn was not sounding as you pedaled was it? If so turn the kill switch back to run.

If they are not starting I suggest to take out the spark plug and inspect it - is it soaking wet - then you had flooded the engine - no panic it will evaporate and just give you a smoke show when you get her started next.

If the spark plug is damp but not soaked then I suggest you check if you have a good spark. Hold it firmly against the side of the cylinder and crank over the engine, you should have a bright blue snappy spark, bright enough to be seen in the shadow of the bike. If no spark check connectors on the bike, make sure they are tight, give them a goodly wiggle at the terminals to cut through potential corrosion. Rotate the master switch from hell back and forth a bit to clean its contacts. If there is a weak spark then perhaps it is the bonding strap between the upper engine mount and the external coil, if broken just twist it together again for now, replace it later.

If the plug was bone dry, sparks but bone dry then check the fuel is getting to the carb (petcock on?) might be some crapo on the saran screen in the tank (clear screen by removing the fuel line, attach a 2 feet length of fuel line, with the line held up open the petcock and see if any fuel fills the line, turn to reserve and see if any fuel fills the line, you can gently use some lung power to blow into the line, on both run and reserve setting, that would bubble any crap off the saran filter).

Let folks know on this thread how it is progressing...

I can't believe it's too bad, he rode them the day before? Starting a Moby is odd if you have never done it/seen one. I got a Free one once for thathe very reason!

Nice mopeds you've got there. You'll love them. I've been living with a 1977, 1978, and 1979, Motobecane for a number of years now.

I've had something similar happen before. Once they got flooded, they wouldn't start until I did this: pull the plug, let the engine evaporate the gas from inside the cylinder, and put in a brand new spark plug. Then try starting it up. Also, if their new to you, I'd clean the carb really well.

Also, as Stephen said "Sounds like you definitely need to close the petcock of both bikes every time you shut down." This is great advice. I found myself needing to do this as well.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account