Tomos Transmission failure

Jarrett Ferrier /

Hey Folks~ SEEMS like, after some peddling (no, I did not run out of gas!), my transmission has given up! I thought maybe the corks, they were worn, I swapped em out to no avail. Here's a lil video. PLEASE note the sound AFTER I turn of the engine.

https://vimeo.com/user117359702/review/427123273/d8a5c4c1af

Thanks for your wisdom!

Jarrett

Re: Tomos Transmission failure

I can't seen nuthin.

No video.

Jarrett Ferrier /

Damn... I see it when I open it... Weird.

https://vimeo.com/user117359702/review/427123273/d8a5c4c1af

Jarrett Ferrier /

Maybe THIS video! tomos

There is this dumb hairpin clip doohickey in these engines that likes to break and make all of this happen. It goes along with the claw collar that is in it... see link...

https://www.treatland.tv/original-OEM-tomos-sprag-clip-for-A35-p/tomos-sprag-clip-a35.htm

Sprag clip. Stupid thing.... that is my bet but you will need to put on your big boy pants and dive into that tranny. My advise is to layout a nice big towel, preferably white, under you before you crack that case. Dont need to be dropping any parts on the ground and chasing after them.

Good luck, have fun!

Jarrett Ferrier /

Sweet! I'll look into this. Thanks so much!

so lemme get this straight. The motor runs, do you want to pedal?

Does the rear wheel spin when u throttle? if its noise, tomos r noisy.

Jarrett Ferrier /

Motor runs great. When idling, with kickstand down, wheel moves. Lift kickstand, throttle, engine revs but doesn't engage transmission. Then, when I turn it off, a relatively long spinning sound from the transmission until it peters out.

oh, no transmission of power.

Take the clutch side cover apart and take picts of your clutches, may not be opening for some reason.

From clutch bell, power goes to the counter shaft and then your main shaft to sprocket. Before you take the tranny cover off, reach down and wiggle your drive sprocket, if it wiggles the inner teeth might be chewed up. Hopefully its the sprocket and not the main drive shaft.

Jarrett Ferrier /

Will do! And I'll let you know what I find out. Thanks so much.

Jarrett Ferrier /

Hey Don Ohio, did you get a chance to see the video? Thanks!

Jarrett Ferrier /

Thanks Pat. I am NOT mechanically inclined. Sprockets seen good and tight. Would it be COMPLETELY INSANE to open up the tranny, start 'er up to see what's moving and what isn't? I know fluid will fly everywhere... Thanks, J

Don't do it, that's crazy plus someone has already done this so you don't have to. Someone put the link in please,

chopped up side cover with running motor.

Basically do a search, read all u can , drain your fluid and pull your tranny cover off slowly and use zip ties.

Jarrett Ferrier /

Ordered my sprag clip today. I'll keep ya posted. Thanks!

Ordering parts without opening it up is not the best way to go at it. Yeah the clip is inexpensive and will eventually need replaced if it is not the actual issue right now. I just know I have had them go out and it cause the tranny to stop functioning. But mostly i think it just ends up making your pedals rotate with the bike. Dive in an ddont have any worry. There are lots of how toos and help for that engine.

Jarrett Ferrier /

Thanks Jay. Appreciate your wisdom!

Hi (edited)

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account