Honda Urban Express No Spark - Need Help

Picked up a few Honda Urban Express mopeds that were in rough condition from someone several years ago and am finally getting around to working on them. All of the mopeds had been worked on by the previous owner and he never was able to get them running. They had some parts missing. The first one I am trying to tackle is the one in the photos that didn't have many parts missing but had been worked on by the previous owner. So far I have cleaned the carb, cleaned the air filter, changed the gear oil, changed the 2 stroke oil in the oil tank and bled the oil system, changed the spark plug and gapped it, and a few other small things. I was hoping it would start up easy, but it wouldn't. I then realized it is not getting any spark at all, even with a new spark plug. I've always dreaded working on electrical stuff, I've basically avoided it my whole life and have always paid someone to do any electrical work on my home, etc. But this time I would like to attempt to learn and solve this electrical issue with the help of this forum. Can anyone help me as to where to start and how to troubleshoot a no spark issue on a Honda Urban Express? Luckily I have some parts from the other mopeds I bought from the guy, so I can swap parts in and out to test what is working and what isn't, but I am also interested in just testing things on the moped with electrical tools to figure out where the problem lies. I noticed that the kill switch feels a bit loose, so don't know if there is a problem there. But I am clueless on electrical stuff so I need quite a bit of help and direction if anyone doesn't mind. I've attached some photos of the moped below to you can see some general things about it. Thanks in advance

1.jpg
IMG_7605.JPG
IMG_7608.JPG

Re: Honda Urban Express No Spark - Need Help

Here are a few other photos:

IMG_7610.JPG
IMG_7609.JPG
IMG_7606.JPG

Gabriel Badolato /

Make sure you’re pulling in the brake levers when trying to start. Check for any loose connections, make sure tail light is not blown. And take apart the kill switch and make sure everything in there has a good connection. After that it could be the ignition coil. I’m working on the same moped and I am absolutely stumped with no spark but I gave you everything I know. Good luck lol

Okay, thank you very much. I appreciate your response. I will try out everything you suggested to see if I can get a spark. Glad to hear you're working on the same thing. Hopefully we both can get our mopeds to get spark so we can get them back to running condition. Such a rewarding feeling when you finally get them running again.

Do you really have to pull in both brake levers to get spark when trying to start the Urban Express moped? I don't remember if I've had a moped like that before, so that would be interesting. Also, why does it matter if the tail light bulb is blown or not? Just trying to understand a bit, that's all. Thanks

Just the back. If I remember right.

How many did you get?

Okay thanks, I will try that out then. To answer your question, I received 3 mopeds from the seller, but they are missing parts and one appears to have engine damage. So I'm thinking I may only get 1 or 2 running with the parts I currently have between the 3 mopeds, and I'm guessing I will have to buy several parts for the last bike to get it running. Lots to do lol

Jack Rutherford /

> Amodo Ko Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Do you really have to pull in both brake levers to get spark when trying

> to start the Urban Express moped? I don't remember if I've had a moped

> like that before, so that would be interesting.

no

You are missing a battery. Any 12v battery should do for now while you figure this out. Don’t forget to check your fuse too.

Check under the seat behind the little plastic thing and make sure all those connections are good and original.

You don’t need to hold the brake to get it to spark. You need to hold the brake to engage the electric starter motor relay once you’ve got a battery installed. If yours isn’t a deluxe than it doesn’t have electric start

Looks stock and all original - colors should match throughout. Should be easy. Wiring diagram will be your best friend.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account