Easiest moped tires to install.

Hello, Long time lurker,

Going through hell trying to install Heidenau M3 tires on a 77 puch maxi.

Im screwing the rim & tire up pretty good with a spoon. I spent 2 tubes already and had to order more.. I know these are made in germany but did anyone else ever have these come out of spec?

Anyone know of easier tires to throw on? 17x2.25...

Re: Easiest moped tires to install.

The whitewalls from Treats are super easy,

almost fun. The City Pros are a bear to change, not worth the hassle I just put a pair on my Honda Cub , never again .

I feel like maybe y'all are doing it wrong...

Overpriced Parts /

Soon as I tried the zip tie method of installing Moped tires I was hooked for life,

Never pinched a tube, never damaged rims

I think the technique is pretty well covered and makes sense once u do a half dozen or so. But the missing ingredient is Baby powder. I'm telling ya, real tire irons, technique and baby powder and no tire has a chance. Once on, the baby powder even centers the tire if you cycle thru a few over pressure cycles.

Dirty30 Dillon /

The M3's are perfectly easy to install. Nice soft rubber.

I'd go ahead and just double check that the ones you got are indeed 17 x 2.25, as the same tire comes in 16 x 2.25.

You shouldn't be fucking up rims trying to install moped tires.

I use simple green. Softens up the rubber. Spray it generously around the beads and let it soak in for a few, and tires squish right on.

Also make sure all the air is out of the tube. Even a little bit makes a big difference. (edited)

Wesley Ambrosini /

Windex helps too. Also letting the tires sit in the sun if they're a real pain. I watched my wife change a bicycle tire the other day and I realized how important technique actually is

Richard Eberline /

I use zip ties, you can install most tires by hand.

Emil Kniemel /

> baird co Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I use simple green. Softens up the rubber. Spray it generously around

> the beads and let it soak in for a few, and tires squish right on.

>

> Also make sure all the air is out of the tube. Even a little bit makes a

> big difference.

I use simple green + zip ties. Spoons to take them off.

Did 2 tires today and 1 last week. Even reused old tubes no prob. Was able to reuse the zip ties from the 2.5 tire on a 2.25 tire.

Zip ties- Dawn dish washing soap around the bead, and the quik stik i got from Shaun at Myrons, tires go on super easy

Tweaker trash /

> Tim Doll Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> The whitewalls from Treats are super easy,

>

> almost fun. The City Pros are a bear to change, not worth the hassle I

> just put a pair on my Honda Cub , never again .

Lol. I run City Pros or Gazelles on everything now. They’re a breeze, and they are such sweet tires.

Those whitewalls look okay, but ride and handle like crap in comparison.

Nothing but Michelin’s for me from here on. I don’t get how people struggle with them so much.

Not sure how you guys are doing it, but I'll try to explain my method. Never had to use any tools, no matter what tire (shoulda done a video, just mounted two vee rubbers a few days ago...)

Unfold and inflate tube to make it round.

Deflate most of the air and stuff it in the tire, and make sure it's not folded.

Pull the core or deflate tube fully.

Lay tire/tube flat on ground and spray the outside bead area liberally with simple green.

Spray the INNER sidewall bead area of the tire side that's facing down. This is important, because that's the part that needs to slide in the next steps.

Put your wheel flat on the ground, and flip the tire over so the outer side you sprayed first is facing the rim.

IF YOU HAVE DIRECTIONAL TIRES, PAY ATTENTION TO WHICH WAY IT HAS TO ROTATE

Push that side of the tire on at the valve hole, and put the valve stem in the hole. Put the stem nut on a few threads so the stem doesn't pop out and hide inside the tire

Start at the valve, and push BOTH sides of the tire on. DON'T do one side at a time.

Keep the wheel flat on the ground, and keep pushing both sides on, with hands on either side, working it towards the top (opposite of valve stem.)

When it gets tough and starts to pop off, kneel on both sides, using your knees to hold it while you keep pushing with your hands.

Keep moving your hands and knees around the tire.

An easy tire should pop on now.

A bitch tire will still have a foot left and this is where that inner sidewall (of what is now the top of your tire,) that you sprayed is gonna fight you.

Stand the wheel up and flip it around

Put your foot on the hub, grab the tire from the back side and push down with your foot, while pulling back on the tire. (This is also the part where even a tiny bit of air will make it tough. All the air will squish up to the top and fight you.)

Push with your foot and pull with your hands til that F'r pops on.

Yay! It's on!

Not done yet...

Check the tire at the valve and make sure it's not pinching the tube. If it is, push the valve stem in, and work the tube so it's completely inside the tire.

Take the nut off and fill the tube, just enough to be roundy. Double check that it's not pinching anywhere, and that the tire is fully seated and round. Especially at the valve.

Deflate the tube, triple check it's not pinching anywhere, then inflate it halfway.

Bounce the tire on the ground a bunch of times while spinning it.

Check again that it's seated, round, and no bulges, especially at the valve.

Fill it up all the way and then put the nut on and tighten it. Don't over tighten it. It's just there to keep the tube from rotating in the tire, it's not holding anything together.

Wipe all the simple green off your tire and rim so it looks pretty, and have a congratulatory smoke. Or beer, or lemonade. Whatever, you're done.

Thats rad Baird. Nice explanation

Pushrod Fifty /

Plenty of hot soapy water and a set of irons.

I like all of what Baird said but I prefer to put my wheel over a 5gal bucket rather than the ground so that the axel isnt getting a bunch of pressure on it. And I also end up using wd40 as I have that on hand. Also super helps to warm the tires up out in the sun for a bit first.

I also make sure I lay the tires in direct sunlight till they got good and hot. On some tires especially, that little Step can make the difference between it being an easy 20 minute job or an hour long wrestling match

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account