Can't get CDI ignition system to run on Carabela Engine

There is little to no information on why I can't get the ignition system to spark. We've tested all leads, coils, and the box but it still won't spark. We ordered the pietcard CDI box 2041, the yellow coil, and the minarelli V1 coil all from treatland. We wired it up today and followed the diagram for the cdi box and coils to a tee. This is a cry for help! I can't get images until tomorrow as the moped is not accesible to me at the moment.

Re: Can't get CDI ignition system to run on Carabela Engine

By the way, the carabela engine and the minarelli V1 are nearly identical aside from some large ports on the head.

Pretty sure the timing is different than the v1. I have both, and they're different stators and mags.

You'll have to line up whatever marks are on the new ignition to the marks on the case.

And, make sure it's a clockwise ignition.

Also, not sure what the stoplight connection does with the cdi, but on the old stator it kills the ignition if your bulb blows out. Grounding the light will bypass that, or unhook it to see if it sparks?

We couldn’t seem to find the marks on the case. Do you have any pictures to compare with? (Forgot to mention I say we because my dad and I are both working on the moped).

Also we are just trying to get it started and we haven’t done any electronics except ignition.

Don't have a pic handy, but there is a mark on the case, below the right side of the cylinder. You have to take off the fan shroud to see it. On the points ignition, the flywheel has two marks on it, about an inch apart. Second mark, if you're rotating clockwise is TDC, and the points should be fully opened.

I've never messed with the electronic ignition, but I'm assuming you still need to line it up at TDC?

the carabela has a lot of subtle differences from the V1. Mine has a different stator plate and flywheel than my V1. Not sure how well they interchange.

We need pictures. No electronics other than the ignition sounds like something might not be right.

Okay we will be able to look at it tomorrow. We are using ngk b5hs spark plugs and a 5 ohm resistor boot so could that be an incompatibility issue? This our first time so we are feeling our way through it. Also we have no other electronics just to see if we could get it to run because it’s almost 50 years old. (edited)

Pretty sure you need a resistor plug or you can fry the whole thing. Says so in treat's description.

> baird co Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Pretty sure you need a resistor plug or you can fry the whole thing.

> Says so in treat's description.

That needs 10K resistance ?

where does it say that and under what part?

resistor is usually located in the spark plug cap or the spark plug itself. Either or, or both.

We’ve got a 5 ohm resistor in the cap bit the plug is resistorless.

> Tsar Jensen Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> We’ve got a 5 ohm resistor in the cap bit the plug is resistorless.

Should be good .

Says it for this set up

Screenshot_20200612-143951.png

These show connections from internal coil to CDI box to external coil. Note they are not grounded in these images and I am aware of that.

B3B9817F-5D53-4E83-A5CE-0FB0DB5E8872.jpeg
FFA71AA3-E92C-4E88-BB6A-4F47565DB2E5.jpeg
DA35C8AC-7218-4200-8118-A177257DD6CD.jpeg

The last image shows where we grounded it to. We put an alligator clip through the hole and attached both grounds to the same clip.

0ABE5803-3A13-45B8-83BC-BD97A04BA591.jpeg
4F81D58A-7644-45D9-A5EE-215EBDB3A9B3.jpeg
59078D82-5B8A-479E-B08C-745D236392F8.jpeg

Oh yeah and I know the exhaust is on backwards don't worry about it.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account