1977 jcpenney pinto is it worth fixing ?

originally i posted a thread asking advice about why my 1977 pinto moped was acting like it wasn't getting enough fuel and i wanted to thank everyone that took the time to message me ,

I found the issue and the verdict is grim , i took the engine out of the bike and split the case , the crank is so rusty it actually has chunks missing out of it and the con rod , the crank seals and bearings are totally shot but the transmission is spotless clean , the cases aren't pitted at all which is shocking , the bad news is i already have $616.59 in the bike and the wife is about ready to twist my head off at the shoulders because even if it was running i dont think i can get my money back , i would have to throw another $120 at it to get it completely ship shape again ,

the bike has a ton of new parts , tires tubes , condenser , cables , carburetor , petcock , air filter , seat ect , is this thing worth fixing or should i just take the loss and part it out ?

Re: 1977 jcpenney pinto is it worth fixing ?

I don’t know if you’ll make your money back parting it out. If you’re keeping it stock you can probably find a stock crank on this forum for around $20 and then just need the bearings, seals and gaskets. Running mopeds always sell for more than non-running

supposedly texas mopeds r hard to find. if you have the skillz, fix it, at least one ride would be worth it.

I think you should source a used crank and make it go. Ride it all you can for a few years THEN sell it for 300-400 dollars. Pictures of your crank wouldbe fun.

if it is only worth $400 running i think i will just part it out then keep sinking money into it

unfortunately this was purchased as a quick flip to make money , i never had any intension of keeping it , i need to figure out what will get me the most money at this point , i realize i am going to take a huge loss on it no matter what i decide ,

Totally fix it. Ride it, get addicted, feel the dark side, mopeds will ruin your life in the most awesome way possible, divorce wife, aquire more and more mopeds.... (they are cheaper than wives) there is no going back now! (edited)

lol , i am looking in to fixing it , i just need to figure out how to do it without spending any more money , i have the new bearings , seals and gaskets already , i just need a good crank that doesnt have any of the bearings on it since i down own a bearing splitter puller set , if i can figure that out im good ,

What did you pay for your last car? What did you get when you traded it in? Double down and buy another moped for the wife.

i paid 700 for my first vehicle , and i still own it lol i think i am done buying mopeds , i am going to part it out , bought a bearing splitter today , just going to pull it apart and sell what i can

if u need money get a real job, mopeds is a hobby.

wow that was extremely rude , i have a real job , i fix things on the side , thanks for the insult though ,

I have all the information that i need , there will be no further posts to this forum ,

> anonymous person Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I have all the information that i need , there will be no further posts

> to this forum ,

very good you have a job, keep it. Wait, don't be butt hurt, didn't mean to be harsh. Kinda feel bad that you got burned on your first moped, so did I but, I survived and didn't bitch, mopeds r a dead end, all frustration, no business, glws.

Deleted his profile...

doofus

can*t fix a moped

Kevin Bishop /

Fix the moped sell the wife

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account