Re: Minarelli v-1 starter clutch bearing

So I decided to do it today. Wow was that easy! Why did I wait so long to do it!

ill have to try this someday, what size is the $.27 bearing?

Another Motron back on the road!

1/8 inch bearing. I'm a truck mechanic &welder by trade. This was so easy. 10 minutes and I was done! I'm waiting on tires from jpcycle 21.00 a piece for shinko's free shipping on anything over 38 so got 2 :). So I don't know yet if the sound I was hearing is gone.

> Trent Anderson Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Another Motron back on the road!

Trent is the flat clutch spring the one that touches the ball bearing supposed to be smooth or have a little bump? It looked like a breaker point contact?lol

I believe they are supposed to be smooth. Divits indicate that the cable was adjusted too tight and engaging or someone was "riding the clutch" thinking that the starter clutch worked like a motorcycle clutch, which is a no-no on these engines. I always treated my bike well and never had issues, so I can't say with any authority how they behave when worn. I assume that if the spring is worn and the bearing has a flat spot that the tiny amount of wear won't let the starter clutch engage and you can't start the bike regardless of pedaling or pop starting.

It's one of the weaknesses of that motor, but a new spring isn't too expensive and that bearing swap saves a fair amount of cash if it works, as a new starter clutch is expensive.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account