Early 60s puch Allstate shifting issue

David McHugh /

Got an early 60s puch moped with a manual gearbox. Starts right up after a little tlc. My issue is first gear wont engage unless you hold and put a little more tension on the handle bar shifter. It’s not enough to just pull the clutch and shift.

Second gear works great! Does this sound like a problem inside the transmission or just a cable adjustment? Thanks in advance!

Re: Early 60s puch Allstate shifting issue

Start with the shift cables, do a search for the manuals for procedure. If either shift cable is frayed, kinked or iffy in any way, replace them and eliminate frustration...

I’ve got a 62 MS50, sound like an adjustment issue it took a while to get mine shifting properly (though I’ll never get used to the twist grip.)

Pushrod Fifty /

There are some free manual downloads on sundaymorningmotors.com

https://www.sundaymorningmotors.com/Vintage-Moped-Manuals-s/1931.htm (edited)

These 2-speed shifties are always a headache with the shift cables. I don't think they were made well, and they were probably sloppy when new.

So, your cable on the 1st gear pull is probably stretched. Remember when you adjust...if you tighten the one side, loosen the other.

Push me pull you cable set up is a pain in the butt, disconnect the 2nd pull and concentrate on the 1st pull only to bring you all the way into 1, then install the 2nd gear pull and adjust it.

Listen to the Reb above all others.

David McHugh /

Thanks all of you. I will look at it this weekend or before if I have time. I'll let you know what I find!

David McHugh /

I got it to engage yesterday with a screwdriver, so I think you’re correct. Do I need new cables or can I bend the brackets? Do I need to make my own cables? Also when adjusting do I adjust when in gear?

Pushrod Fifty /

Motorwest sells cables.

> Pushrod Fifty Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Motorwest sells cables.

That site is being a bit dickish about getting an order to go through...

Dirty30 Dillon /

Push/Pull shifters really aren't that bad, the key is setting cable throw in one direction via that cable. make sure the single cable accurately pulls from 1 to N to 2. Than you set the second cable to hold tension, and test in reverse. After that it's just small adjustments.

Pushrod Fifty /

I get shitty customer service wherever I go. Gets worse and worse.

David McHugh /

Got it shifting through all gears now. Thanks all you guys for the help. Now it bucks when in first gear? Carb or clutch? I’ll play with it more when I get home today.

Dirty30 Dillon /

> David McHugh Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Got it shifting through all gears now. Thanks all you guys for the help.

> Now it bucks when in first gear? Carb or clutch? I’ll play with it more

> when I get home today.

Bucks as in slips in and out? That's could either be failed full engagement I'm first, or weak clutch pads/springs

David McHugh /

I skips in and out but eventually grabs. My problem is most of the time it stall no matter how much you feather it. You feel it grab and in and out until it picks up speed. Too much throttle and it stalls.

David McHugh /

The cables are switched. First is second and vice versa.

Matt has health problems and is swamped most of the time email first maybe he is a great guy and will get your order do e as soon as he can

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account