77 maxi brake light on all the time

mike houlihan /
BDF1CCC5-D74A-4E77-86E2-A7E892A1BC70.jpeg

Can anyone help me understand why the brake light (upper) 9on my 77 maxi is on all the time even after disconnecting the left and light brake sensors and the right hand sensor ground? Gets brighter the more I rev.

Ant seem to find pre-June 77 maxi service manual with wiring as I understand the magnetos may be different if the bike was made in 1/77 or 2/77 and my wire control hub has 5 rows.

Re: 77 maxi brake light on all the time

Sure it is not the tail light?

mike houlihan /

yup

I am interested in this solution. I have a garelli with the same issue. I hate wiring. It hurts my noodle.

The wiring on the brake light switch isn't original judging by that crimp connector, so who knows what was done to the wiring by previous owners. What color wires are going into the brake light bulb? Wiring up Normally Open brake light switches is pretty simple. I attached a quick diagram I made. In this Puch factory wiring diagram, the green wires are powered by the stator and once the brake his applied they provide power to the green and blue wires which go to the brake light bulb, illuminating it.

Normally Open Brake Light Diagram.png

Michael Branscombe /

not sure of that model, but if the brake light switches are normally closed, and one of them is failing, or if there is a broken connection, disconnecting the switch is just disconnecting a connection that is already broken. maybe try jumping the connections at the switches to see if the brake light goes out, then you've identified the failed switch. not sure if that is how the electrical works on that model, but food for thought anyway.

Puch-Wiring-Diagram-1976-77-5-wire-magneto.jpg

Here's a diagram for a 5wire 1976-1977

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account