Tomos LX engine 70 cc blowout. Need help anyone have tips?

Hello all, I was riding my LX yesterday when my engine came to a skidding stop and basically went dead when I pulled over. At first I had thought that my engine had blown up due to the 70cc kit I had put on it a few months back. Today, I put the 50 cc engine back on thinking that it was the piston rings that had become the problem for me. Once the 50 cc was back on, I was not able to pedal the moped forward but instead could kick start the moped in both ways weather it was pedaling forwards or backwards. Now I can start the moped but after I stop giving it gas, it basically just turnoff. Does not idle and will not start without opening the throttle. I wanted to know if anyone has experienced the same problem and if so could let me know what the problem is and what I need to do to fix it. Let me know! Thank you.

Re: Tomos LX engine 70 cc blowout. Need help anyone have tips?

probably one of the one way bearings in the tranny went out. read, and take the tranny cover off and pay attention to shims.

^^^^yes to splat. Be patient, read some info about what you are going to be getting into first. But please do not let the info confuse or scare you. It will make sense the second you actually get into it all. Check out the wiki on this site for all the info you could possibly need about your transmission. Treats and the other moped sites will have all of the parts you will need to replace.

Good luck and have fun!!

Hey, just reading replies now. Would that mean that I need to completely drop the engine to access that or would it only require me to take the engine case off. Let me know! thanks.

Read the wiki, you need to take the clutch cover off, remove clutch bell/ clutches, then remove the shaft with the big first/second gears. There is a circlip that holds the thing on that holds the one way bearings, also a sprag clip that preloads those bearings. Order a new sprag or two to have on hand, and a gasket for your clutch cover because yours will most likely tear when you pull the cover

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account