Puch front wheel won't spin free unless brake is engaged

up shits creek /

Re: Puch front wheel won't spin free unless brake is engaged

weird, adjust the cable length a little tighter till it freespins.

If you haven't inspected the pads yet you should do so. My guess is either one end of one of the pads has become delaminated and is binding, or one of the brake shoe springs has snapped. A 17mm open ended wrench, a deep 17mm socket and an impact drill make the job a cinch if I remember correctly.

up shits creek /

Took it all apart. Turns out the axle was too tight. Pads were good. Inside drum was fine. Loosened it a tad and it was free rolling again.

I hope the axle nuts aren't too loose . ;)

up shits creek /

> P D Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I hope the axle nuts aren't too loose . ;)

right? no they just needed about 1/4 turn loose and they were free with no play. they can be a bit finicky tho

That whole explanation of the fix makes no sense to me. But if it seems normal now great.

If it spins freely by loosening the axle, something's wrong. You should be able to tighten an axle nut so hard to the point of stripping it without affecting the way the wheel spins.

If it's loose bearings, your cones are improperly adjusted, or the cones are loose and tightening themselves down as you tighten the axle nut.

If it's sealed bearings, you're either missing a spacer, have a wrong sized spacer (usually the one inside the brake plate,) or something else that's causing the bearings to squish.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account