Peug 103 dies once warmed up

Idles great, accelerates great until warmed up and then just cuts out. 78 Peugeot 103

Re: Peug 103 dies once warmed up

Does it start up again in like 5 min of sitting then repeat the sickness?

Sounds like it could be a bad condenser. (I am jumping the gun while I’m guessing Cheetah was reserving his opinion based on your response to his question.) (edited)

Yes It has been doing that. It’s definitely sounds electrical when it cuts out in mid acceleration. Couldn’t get her to start at all now.

Yes Larry condenser is my only guess. They make a condenser I can attach externallly so I don’t have to mess with taking flywheel off. I don’t mind buying a puller and keeping it original. Any downside to an external condenser?

Condenser all day

read Myron's writeup on the pug 103 2 coil.

and nico's suicide thread

actually painted my rusty pug 103 john deere green after I saw how good green looks on yours.

Ok where can I find those 2. The write up and the thread? Yes I fell in love with the green too.

Like Larry I think bad condenser as well.

Yes to just getting a external condenser and just plugging that into the brown wires connector to see if that helps. If it helps then you can go ahead and get a puller and get the sick condenser out of the mix. Or you can leave the sic condenser where it is and hope it does not infect the system.

There is a NAPA auto near you. Ask for a EP30 condenser.

Well look here at this Wiki page for help.

Condenser mod

Good info , I have this 60’s trail 90 new condenser laying around, will it work? Both 6 v systems.

AF35DD20-75C2-4B61-938D-4FB82400F3FD.jpeg

Try it . It will either work or not . ;)

Just insulate the wire not connected .

Yes that should work. Doesn't mater if an automotive cap is 6 or 12v.

Let us know how it goes (edited)

Bike started and rode for about 10 mins then it died. Then I installed the condenser within the brown wires. Didn’t do anything.

If your stock condenser Is heating up and then grounding out, the external mounted one is not going to help. The only way at this point is to pull it out so you can eliminate the condenser as the cause of your stalling.

Before you go further I would go on another ride and as soon as the bike stalls pull the plug and check for spark (edited)

Yea i agree, puller and condenser ordered yesterday from treats. And I yes I saw the other night that when it dies , even the points stop sparking

Ok so I just received my puller and condenser in the mail but they sent me the wrong one. Can I make it work? I ordered the saudering kind and I got the screw on one.

715C6607-43F4-45A8-B11E-99895773742E.jpeg

They are interchangeable , but use differing connectors .

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account