Spark issue that is driving me nut

Puch E50. New plug, plug wire and cap, points, condenser No spark when testing with the plug hooked to the plug wire but pull the plug from the cap and stick screw driver in the cap and ZAP lots of spark. I’ve tested 5or 6 plugs, Plug wire and still nothing. I’ve never had this one happen and (I don’t swear) but this is making me go FUCKING NUTS.

P.S. I was just thinking of installing a boush external condenser on it

Re: Spark issue that is driving me nut

all the wires and the coils are insulated from ground until it reaches that nipple of your spark plug and it'll only jump to the electrode if the plug body is grounded, normally to your head.

Yes but I tested it with test spark plug and still nothing.

Which cap are you using ?

If it's a resistor NGK type , try removing the resistor . Just unscrew the terminal receiver . The resistor and a spring should fall out . Replace them with a piece of solid copper wire , like 12 or 14 gauge and replace the receiver .

@P D

Good ideal. I didn't think of that.

Well that didn't work but this is a long shot, I painted the head so it looked as it did. Do I need to run a ground wire for the head?

Depends on if your using a composite gasket or if you think that the stud washers are penetrating the paint if its really thick. A continuity tested on an volt/OHM meter can clear that up if you have one

Richard Eberline /

I responded to this problem before. If you have a OHM meter check your external HT Coil. A Bosch HT Coil has a 1, 15 and 4 on the business side. OHM meter leads at the (200 scale) 1 and 15, you need 1.8 to 2.0 OHMS. Then 20k scale to 1 and 4 should get 5,600 to 6,000 ohms. Screw the ignition wire into 4 and retest. Same #,s good. Test the cap. I use a zero OHM, others are 1k, 5k and 10k. Since every other item is new, wire the the moped with a horn bypass diagram. report back

I think I got it. The 76-77 maxi is wired very different then 78 and this is a 77. lesson learned .

Now I’m just pissed off. I found this puch is a 77 with a five wire frame but it has a six wire engine and magneto. That’s no real problem with the ignition. I checked all three coils and they test ok, I played with the wires and got a super hot spark that made my toes curl but still get nothing out of the plug. As I posted I get spark from the plug with just not the plug. I know It’s something I’m doing but I need help on this one.

So I'm just going to replace everything with new parts I have on the shelf. I don't feel like messing with anymore.

I read your post and I dont think you tried seeing if spark will jump out of just the cable with no boot on at all. Trimm back 1/4" of insulation so you just have a titty of bafe wire sticking out and wedge the cable in the fins of the cylinder and crank it again.

Richard Eberline /

Only hook up blue from stator to blue #1 on ht coil. Then hook up

frame ground brown (no paint) with #15 on ht coil AND green with a black stripe from stator. If you have a blue and a black stripe from the stator, hooked the wire with the other 3 wires listed above. 4 wires together and no insulation plastic. No other wires 6 total.

It started. Now this is to much for me to handle. Three Yes 3 THREE sets of brand new real bosch points all checked and rechecked, filed perfect contact, all three were a no go so I found the set it came in with and BAM it starts right up. good thing I kept them. I haven't seen this since I did this for a living when the boss would buy the cheapest of the cheap parts. Sometimes I really hate pulling wrench's .

Just because you filed the points doesn't mean they were clean enough to function properly . It only takes a finger print to foul points .

Clean them , after dressing them with a file , with brake cleaner and compressed air or passing a clean dollar bill a few times between closed points . The bill is just abrasive enough to nicely polish them . ;)

So I decided to try the new points again for the hell of it and you know what? three sets of bad points. I'm going to put the old back on and smile and be happy.

> Jeff Parr Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> So I decided to try the new points again for the hell of it and you know

> what? three sets of bad points. I'm going to put the old back on and

> smile and be happy.

Unless all those 'new' points were made on the same day within the same run with the same batch of materials , it's highly unlikely that they are all bad . That , unless you bought know junk products . ;)

I'd test them , individually and unattached to anything except the ohm meter .

Richard Eberline /

No Ohm meter!!!! A good Ohm meter releases all my stress.

I've used a meter both on and off the engine.

Pushrod Fifty /

Buy a spark tester at an auto parts store. Under 10.00. Has a grounding clamp. I check for spark against my painted outboard motor engine blocks. The heavy enamel paint cant hold back 10,000volts.

I brought new points for my E50 and they lasted 10 miles before the bike started to run shitty. I cleaned the originals and reinstalled them and they were trouble free for the a few years that I had it.

I think I found a big part of the problem. I ordered,paid for,got the parts in bosch box's but not one of them is a bosch part. All parts from bosch have a stamp on them telling you who made them and one set looks like it was used and cleaned up then put back on the shelf. I paid $24.99 for parts worth $9.00 .

> Jeff Parr Wrote:

> I think I found a big part of the problem. I ordered,paid for,got the

> parts in bosch box's but not one of them is a bosch part. All parts from

> bosch have a stamp on them telling you who made them and one set looks

> like it was used and cleaned up then put back on the shelf. I paid

> $24.99 for parts worth $9.00 .

Send that crap back .

You bought Bosch , you should get Bosch .

Who did you get screwed by

I'm just going to eat the cost. I'll buy them from another place. The place is in the SF bay area.

> Jeff Parr Wrote:

> I'm just going to eat the cost. I'll buy them from another place. The

> place is in the SF bay area.

So , you're just going to let the rest of us go through the same ?

Not if you know what major moped parts supplier is in the bay area.

> Aaron Blair Wrote:

> Not if you know what major moped parts supplier is in the bay area.

I find it hard to believe they'd try pulling something like that .

And , why , if it ain't right , would anyone hide/mask truth .

I'm not blaming the place I got them from it was most likely that same person we've all worked with AKA mr/miss/? sticky fingers and I don't think I got them all at the same time. Just check small parts when you receive them. P.S it may have come from their suppers like that.

I would like to see a pic of the poster using the meter and show how the test is being done. Just like to be satisfied that the test is accurate.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account