QT50 won't restart when warm

Garrett Jackson /

Hi,

My QT50 will start on first or second kick. If i ride for just a short time, it won't restart until i allow it to cool for at least an hour. I replaced the charge coil and crank seals a year or so ago, and this is a new problem. Stock carb and 70 main jet. The exhaust is stock shell with the guts removed. Thoughts on what I should do to fix it?

Re: QT50 won't restart when warm

Replace the condenser .

Garrett Jackson /

Doesn't have one.

I had similar issue in my qt50. Air leak out of the air box.

> Garrett Jackson Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Doesn't have one.

Right . I don't know why I thought it did . :(

Maybe check the pulser . Or , could be something in the CDI unit that breaks down with heat .

Be sure its not getting too much fuel. In others words, the float needle is not leaking, carb flooding or reamed out jets from a prior cleaning. A cold motor needs more fuel than a warm motor.

> live ɘvil Wrote:

> Be sure its not getting too much fuel. In others words, the float needle

> is not leaking, carb flooding or reamed out jets from a prior cleaning.

> A cold motor needs more fuel than a warm motor.

A good indicator of what im talking about would be a motor that starts easy without the choke when cold.

Garrett Jackson /

Thanks. It actually always needs the choke to start. So would you think it might be the original coil that's getting hot?

I've had two charge coils fail. My original and it's replacement. I'm on my third. When the 1st replacement was starting to go my bike would die then would start back up after about two minutes. I could get another half-mile up the road before it would die again. the specs from my shop manual are 295ohm + - 10% . My last weak coil measured 197ohm. My latest replacement measured 329ohm before installation. Try measuring your charge coil.

chargecoilspecs.JPG

Garrett Jackson /

Ok, so mine measures 157. Clearly out of spec. I am very ignorant when it comes to electrical, so help me understand... Why would yours run a few minutes and die, them start back in a few minutes, but mine runs and never cuts out, but when I stop, it then won't restart for a very long time?

I don't know. It's ...

> Garrett Jackson Wrote:

> Ok, so mine measures 157. Clearly out of spec. I am very ignorant when

> it comes to electrical, so help me understand... Why would yours run a

> few minutes and die, them start back in a few minutes, but mine runs and

> never cuts out, but when I stop, it then won't restart for a very long

> time?

Heat soaking after you shut it off.

Garrett Jackson /

Two questions...

The cause of the heat soaking is the bad charge coil or is there something else I also need to deal with?

Can you all recommend a good quality charge coil since the last one wasn't?

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account