Bianchi Eagle 30 - Minarelli V1 points/timing

Michael Branscombe /

so, waiting on a piston and rings … decided to put it together with the old piston and no rings to take a poke at the electrical.

cleaned points, set gap, worked flywheel - points seemed to be opening and closing … all good for a first poke … then I got out a continuity light

red wire from stator to test light to battery positive, ground from battery to blue wire, light goes on - and rotating the flywheel and points opening and closing light on the whole time

putting the ground from battery to the case, no light, rotate flywheel, no light, nothing won't light

put the same connection from the test light to the lead from stator to the lighting coil, lights fine grounded to case.

I'm not an electrical wizard, but it appears both lighting and ignition coils pass current and may work. not sure on the ground, or why the points opening and closing does not make the test light go blinky blinky blinky and it just stays lit the whole time.

Re: Bianchi Eagle 30 - Minarelli V1 points/timing

Michael Branscombe /

looked at the timing directions again in a service manual. looking at the diagram of the ignition, their directions for setting up a bulb or test box won't work. the current will just go from the red wire through the coil to the blue wire, so - opening the points looks like it can't really make the light go on and off like I thought it would; based on the diagram of the wiring they included in the manual.

minarelli_ignition.jpg
minarelli_ignition.jpg

correct me if I'm wrong, but looking at the diagram - you want to put the positive from the test bulb to the blue wire, and ground the negative of the battery to the case to test the points timing. This would run the circuit, through the coil, through the points, to ground.

minarelli_ignition2.jpg

I guess I'll try it tomorrow and see what happens.

My carabela with the Mexican V1 copy works with the volt meter, unhook all wires, connect to red and ground to the frame.

My Lazer doesn't. They have different CEV Ignitions, and I don't know why it doesn't work on the Lazer V1, but it's the same as your problem.

Michael Branscombe /

found a generic wiring diagram. guess if it is an external ignition ground it isn't grounded internally? the lighting coil is, guess ignition coil isn't. think I'll rig a coil next time I get a chance and see if I can make it spark.

Minarelli-Wiring-Diagram1.jpg

Michael Branscombe /

I mucked around with this for a bit today, and got it to spark, nice blue snappy spark.

I cleaned the points again with a points file. Seemed about the same - all testing seemed to do the same thing. I was playing around seeing if I could get spark and I could not.

With the blue wire from stator disconnected, and the ground from battery to engine case, for whatever reason - maybe cleaning up the points again, my test light started to go blinky blinky like I would have expected.

Hooked up a snowmobile coil I had on hand, and grounded to case no spark. I grounded the blue wire to frame, and then spark. So, to make it spark - you can not leave the blue wire disconnected, it has to be grounded to the frame. At least on this motor anyway.

Happy to have a nice blue spark in time - I'll just Jimmy rig a kill switch and see about getting it running and worry about the rest of the electrical down the road.

Now just to get a piston and rings … carb is rebuilt and ready to go. Need to clean up the fuel tank and petcock a bit more, but I think it will work.

Michael Branscombe /

a little further poking, and the root of odd behavior was not getting a good contact through the points even though they had been filed and cleaned once already. may still put new points and condenser in this, but don't have any yet - or a flywheel puller for this motor, so - willing to work with what's there the best I can to get it running and look for other problems to take care of.

Michael Branscombe /

for the life of me I can't see why the switches on the brake handles would activate the brake light. It doesn't look like in the diagram either of them completes any circuit.

also, does anyone know where the external ignition ground actually grounds to the frame, I don't see it in the diagram, nor find it in the wiring on my moped.

Michael Branscombe /

OK, I think I get it. The brake switches are closed connections, and they lead the external ignition ground to the ground on the primary coil. This is the path of least resistance - when a brake is applied, it breaks this circuit and the external ground has to find another path, and that is through the brake light. If the brake light blows, there is no ground at all for the external ignition ground, and this is why then there is no spark and the engine quits if the brake light blows.

Refreshing to see someone using their own brain . ;)

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account