Safety upgrades to my first moped-1980 Puch Maxi

Well I go it home! Thanks for all the advice. Here are some more images. I know it will not win any beauty contests, but it runs nicely. I would like to accomplish the following in this order, and would appreciate advice on types of equipment options for each, Thank you!!! Attaching a few pix of current running Maxi.

1. I want handle bar side mirrors to see behind me

2. I would like signal light indicators, I guess that is a no no for Maxi's? But if you had to what would you recommend?

3. Any advice on bike locks? I will be leaving this in public parks and want the best bike lock!

4. The horn isn't working-trouble shooting advice?

5. The speedometer is not working- any thoughts on trouble shooting it?

Thanks again!

Maxi 1.jpg
Maxi 3.jpg
Maxi 2.jpg

Re: Safety upgrades to my first moped-1980 Puch Maxi

Overpriced Parts /

Wow that’s basically only good to ride in a campground or on your driveway, !

You have no front fender or fork support so on certain turns you will oversteer understeer and your fork bolts will loosen making play as well as front axle nuts loosen making your front tire come off!

Cateye turn signals are available and work perfectly!

I put them on most all my bikes,

A rear view mirror or two is legally mandated in most every state, You got a fix everything I said, so basically just drive your moped up and down your driveway because that’s all it’s good for right now unless you correct this simple stuff,

A correct (well actually more than correct because it goes freeway speeds) Maxi Moped

DC2F50C6-EA6C-464F-A107-CB829FBFADCF.jpeg

(edited)

Wow - i guess i am showing my rookie-ness! Is this the fork support i need to buy to make steering safer? picture attached.

Thank you!

C81E6174-301C-4324-88AF-963CD0C7B848.png

Yup that'll work fine, but you can probably get a stock one with a fender for that price.

^ yep definitely get a brace, looks like you have good tires, mirrors are on treatland.tv or even a bicycle shop. Cat-eye for signals if you really feel the need, but you are in NY so, is it titled, plated, look into that way before signals, as to speedo, with stock pipe you will be lucky to see 30, so don't worry about it. Do you need insurance, if so GET it the fines can outweigh the price of the bike, at least in MN. It's cheap. Check out Sundaymorningmotors.com for parts, prob have mirrors and fenders and braces.... As for locks, a good u-lock is important, and maybe a new york chain, a cover really helps too, grill covers work well and are cheap. Thing looks pretty clean, enjoy it, another pro-tip, mix your fuel in a sep can, not the tank, just trust me on this. Top up after every ride, so you never have to worry about it. Close fuel valve after every ride, always, just a good habit. If you are going to store over winter pm me and I will tell you how, if you can use ethanol free fuel. If you ride all the time it is not essential, but if it is used sparingly it will help.

If the horn doesn’t work, but a new one. Probably rusted on the inside.

Speedometer - take the cable off the bottom of the speedo and spin the front wheel. Watch the cable end to see if it turns. If not, but a new speedo drive and cable. If I does turn, search for a thread on cleaning or servicing speedometers. I know there was one not too long ago. I’d bet you just need to clean/ service the speedometer.

I have bought decent mirrors and signals from amazon but recommend searching the moped supply places first. Support the business that supports you.

Fortnine has a has a video about bike locks. Gives some good advise.

Thanks to all responders! I’ll start searching for parts and search through the threads for more info.

I have another question, can someone post a photo of how the fork brace sits on your Puch Maxi? So I can get a better understanding of how it is supposed to look?

Thanks again. Mike

> Michael Winn Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I have another question, can someone post a photo of how the fork brace

> sits on your Puch Maxi? So I can get a better understanding of how it

> is supposed to look?

>

> Thanks again. Mike

You're not very good at puzzles .

It mounts forward of the forks . ;)

If your looking at your forks from the front, see how the chrome tubes have rectangular blocks facing the wheel? Those have screw threads in em. The stock brace is just pressed steel and goes up to hold the fender. But it's alot better than nothing.

The aftermarket ones are much beefyer, so the cylindrical steel tubing of the brace is offset to the front of the fork, so it all fits.

Look for a pic of any stock maxi in the photo section. Mounts are on the left in the second pic you posted, directly above the axle, attached to the chrome fork leg. Good luck!

In case this helps, buy incandescent bulb turn signals. If you get LED, they won’t work without all the extra components to make smooth DC.

Unless you want to go that way.

^ yep. mopeds are not modern :)

hi i just got around to checking the Speedo cable. It does not spin, and It is a new cable I bought. I think the part that sits on the wheel is shot. Not sure what you call that part? Do you know if it is worth buying just that part, or should I just go for a complete new Speedo assembly?

Thanks.

The part that fits against your wheel hub is a "speedometer drive." You can buy them individually, but make sure it uses the same kind of cable that fits into your speedometer.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account