Clutch Re-Lining Rebuild Clamp

Dave Thacker /

First version of new tool. None would tell me what happens when you cover the entire shoe surface. So, i am lining a set to find out. I want to discover how it impacts abruptness of shift into second. I did both first and second. Will be offering tools in future.

20200628_192802.jpg

Re: Clutch Re-Lining Rebuild Clamp

Kool

todd amundson /

How come my connections prints are always fucked? This looks so clean and bad ass.

Dave Thacker /

I work professionally in ABS with sub standard gear. ;-) You printing in PLA? I'm happy to look at some photo's of prints for you. I have no experience with PLA but over 5000 hours with ABS.

You could answer a question for me. Nobody responded when I asked how the clutch response is affected by covering the entire surface. So, I decided to do it and find out. I'm expecting a sharper lock up (less drag into or more abrupt lock up).

I have a lot of skills but rebuilding moped clutches is new to me. So, I'm learning. I replaced clutches with new in another Tomos I have and not it shifts firmly into 2nd with way less laggy slip than before. I really like it that way.

I think it is because the whole clutch surface doesnt end up touching the bell. Mostly only the middle part does so they put as little pad on there as is needed to engage the clutch. Probably also a cost saving method by the factory. I dont think it would hurt to line the whole clutch but I dont know that I would expect anything big to happen. Try replacing the spring with a little stiffer one.

Super cool tool btw. Make a bunch and sell them to treats! (edited)

No clue...but I do know that every tomos clutch I've relined has been like you are doin. Whole surface.

Always worked fine for me. But I've never ridden a stock tomos clutch sooo...

Ehhh the wear is less even and more concentrated in the center of the for whatever reason when you line the whole thing 360*. I doesn’t make sense to me, but I attribute it to the fact that it is a tomos.

The reason is simple. The smaller diameter clutch inside the bell. The "arms" have to be smaller to fit inside the clutch bell. This means when they engage they can not possibly grab across the whole surface as the diameter is not the same. Only the middle 1/3-ish will make contact with the bell. It would be pretty hard to make a balanced 3 shoe clutch like this with arms that made a full contact.

Again nothing wrong with re-lining the whole surface of the shoe, it is just not really needed. It could help when you wear your pad down that they is no more surface in the middle, the edges may be able to grab at that point. The factory realized this thru their testing and opted to save money. Cuz 10mm less material per shoe x 3 shoes x 30000 bikes can actually end up saving them a bit of cash.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account