Beginner headlight question here.

Ethan Katowitz /

I have a 77 Puch and the headlight is pretty dim, to a level where I can barley see 5 feet ahead at night. Currently there’s a 6 volt 21 watt bulb that I recently installed but I wanted to know how I could convert my setup into a 12v system. Do I absolutely need one of the treats 12v coils to run it? Also, if anyone has converted to LED, I’m interested to hear how that was done.

Re: Beginner headlight question here.

Search “puch led” In the search window, and dive down the rabbit hole.

Try Here

If you don't understand wiring then don't even try it have someone else do it.

Maybe there's some other way to run 12v lights, but that $14 coil has got to be the easiest. I've used them with regulators (also easily installed) and had no trouble switching to LEDs with BA15S ends that drop right into all the stock housings. I've been using them for headlight, tail light, and brake light on two bikes for two or three years with no trouble.

These are the ones I got. It's a 20-pack for $20 and it may have been the last moped bulb purchase I'll ever make.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071V2DBWP/

(edited)

Ethan Katowitz /

Chinatown Kicks thanks for the advice. What kind of resistor do you have? Does it transfer from AC to DC output too? (edited)

Dirty30 Dillon /

You can't ring an effective 12V from the stock 6V coil. If you are really serious, buy the 12V coil and rectify/regulate to DC and you'll be able to power a decent headlight. Even swapping in an H4 35W bulb @ 12VDC will be a huge upgrade.

I personally don't prefer LED replacement bulbs. Especially given that most are in the 6k heat range, and I love a good 3.5k beam.

Ethan Katowitz /

Yes I’m planning on buying the coil. I’m sure this regulator/ rectifier will work right?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DK3ZZB4/

I have a Trail Tech dial-a-brightness regulator on one bike and I THINK a Malossi on the other one, both from Treats. No AC/DC transfer. They're both holdovers from when I had incandescent bulbs and regulate only the headlight lead off the 12v coil, which is kinda weird because my tail light coils are still the same old 6v ones. I don't understand why they work, but they definitely do work.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account