My e50 with a za50 stator magnito

Johnnie Walner /

My bike will run but it's just runs full rpm at idle and I dont know what whould cause it. Maybee timing maybee the za 50 stator magneto flywheel I put on before I found out it was a compression issiue should i switch it back to the original points and magnito setup? Help??

15935666947673401793443433378209.jpg

Re: My e50 with a za50 stator magnito

Cdi? They fit either engine, just pick up is flipped to one side or the other. Search treats cdi and itll give you a picture on what to do.

high idle doesn't mean your ignition is wonky, its airflow or airleak.

1. ensure throttle slide is all the way down,

2. ensure no air leaks from carb all the way to combustion chamber.

look up how to find air leak

Yeah probably an air leak causing your issues. Start it up and do a air leak test. Spray some carb cleaner at all the connection points on the top end. Carb and intake included.

Like these guys said. You are describing an air leak.

Dirty30 Dillon /

The ZA and E50 flywheels are not interchangeable. Without the correct flywheel, your timing will be whacky and basically makes hunting down airleaks pointless.

Dillon,

I thought the same thing but the issues described made me think there is an overlying issue. I was surprised the bike even started with the za50 setup. They run opposite ways. But I know if it is a cdi you can flip stuff and make it work. I have no clue how he would have gotten za50 points to run.

Dirty30 Dillon /

Even though they run reverse direction, they are not 180* out, they are close enough where you could probably get it to fire, if run very poorly.

If you are insistent on running the ZA flywheel, you'll need to lap the weight to the crank and run keyless, at which point you might as well just buy a real E50 flywheel and not have to worry about setting it freehand every time you need to pull it.

Overpriced Parts /

Posted this probably a dozen times already, maybe somebody should put it in wiki, The stock Stator for both engines are the same but not the flywheels,

These are differences in the two flywheels! The ramp on flywheel that snaps the points open for timing is almost like a camshaft on a car by the points fiber follower hitting it on the steep side of the ramp

The opposite side is a less steep of a angle ramp so the points can gently go back down,

Using the wrong flywheel makes the points kinda/sorta open on the less angled side somewhere and you’ll never get it to run right/make a good voltage when the capacitor discharges.

E40B30E7-48A5-42ED-B2AE-A09C32D6D730.jpeg
A6F53B13-4CA6-4399-96FC-787F50A92AB4.jpeg
9AECF90A-A445-4750-B055-1D4978E2C678.jpeg

You need e50 flywheel which is the one on the left (unless the pictures got reversed)

Is that a late model ZA magneto in your first pic? I've never seen a stock Puch magneto like that...

edit: Oh those are tomos points! Yeah they are meant for counter clockwise, if you have those set on the Puch E50 woodruff key there's no way it's going to be timed right, and to Ken's point the cam cutaway will be off for clockwise motors. (edited)

Wesley Ambrosini /

Can confirm, they'll run with the wrong flywheel but you'd immediately hear that something is wrong, lots of clacking as the wrong side of the taper slams open the points

Overpriced Parts /

> Mike Boyd Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Is that a late model ZA magneto in your first pic? I've never seen a

> stock Puch magneto like that...

>

> edit: Oh those are tomos points! Yeah they are meant for counter

> clockwise, if you have those set on the Puch E50 woodruff key there's no

> way it's going to be timed right, and to Ken's point the cam cutaway

> will be off for clockwise motors.

No you must have the wrong magneto mike or I don’t know?

All za50s I had with stock points ignition for like years (78-1986?) all had the same/have the same cam Profile on flywheel,

I had probably 5-6 dozen Za50 bikes/engines and the flywheels all/were interchangeable as long as it says 5/10w-21w and has Counter rotation arrow, They all will work,

It’s possible someone used a Tomos flywheel On a za50 maybe.

Dirty30 Dillon /

Mike's asking about the OP's post.

I was just gonna say, that ain't no Puch flyweight.

I'm gonna guess this dude is trying to run either Tomos Points, or Tomos CDI.

It's this one:

https://www.treatland.tv/puch-ZA50-stator-plate-magneto-points-p/puch-za50-stator-magneto.htm

looks sorta like a tomos one but treats calls it ZA, maybe a china clone?

Dirty30 Dillon /

@Mike, you're right. I have never even bothered to try those.

Also, to the OP: Did you not read the comments for that item? There are only three and they could have saved you wasting your money.

I mean, 5 minutes of using the MA Search bar could have also done that.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account