E50 clutch always engaged.

I am going to get back in it and see if I can figure it out, but thought I'd throw it out if anyone had some ideas.

Just rebuilt the engine. It is a new crank and bearings/seals. Everything went back into the case very nicely so I am confident that all the bits are in their proper position.

The bike starting clutch is always engaged and I'm not exactly sure why.

Re: E50 clutch always engaged.

Probably Fred /

Starter clutch not set right, bell clutch components shimmed wrong, crank too far over in case, could be a lot of stuff something wrong

Thanks for the laundry list! I'm going to start checking things off in the morning.

I reused all the shims and such from the original crank so I'm hoping it is correct.

At least the bike started and ran for a minute. That is a lot further than I had been on this one.

New crank is gonna change your shims unfortunately. Gotta shim it per the manual which is way easier before you build the motor back up. Doable tho, just harder.

Aww poop. Guess I'm sanding shims today.

Great news. I did not need to sand any shims. The culprit was the hole they drilled in the end of the crank where the starter plate has a little pin that slides in, was too small. The pin fit in, but was not loose enough to allow the crank to spin freely from it.

I filed it out a bit and ran over the pin on the starter plate with a little sand paper. It slides in smoother now and the engine is now free from the starting plate!

Gotta love when it is something reasonably easy.

Now I just need to get this vm18 tuned.

roots to wings /

Hey Jay I found this in a search and am having a similar issue. https://www.mopedarmy.com/forums/read.php?6,4393077,4393187,flat=1#msg-4393187

My pin is too big for the hole in my crank and the pin is not attached to the starter plate. Can you run without this pin? Would you drill out the crank to fit the pin? Thx

Tweaker trash /

> roots to wings Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Hey Jay I found this in a search and am having a similar issue.

> https://www.mopedarmy.com/forums/read.php?6,4393077,4393187,flat=1#msg-4393187

>

> My pin is too big for the hole in my crank and the pin is not attached

> to the starter plate. Can you run without this pin? Would you drill

> out the crank to fit the pin? Thx

https://www.lucky2strokes.com/Used-Puch-Moped-e50-Starter-Clutch-Plate-p/puch-start-plate-used.htm

Should look just like this

I’ll send u one just paying shipping

roots to wings /

Hey thanks. Yeah, my pin came out. I could be down for that. Does the pin on the one you’d send me drop into the crank? If so what is the diameter of the pin? Wondering if I can get a new washer to put behind that tiny circlip.

I dont believe you need the pin but it holds things in place. The pin shouldn't be too much larger than the hole in the crank. Just file it out a bit until the pin goes in.

The pin is held in the starter plate with a clip. Maybe you can reuse the one that came off or get.a new one put in.

roots to wings /

I got a 13/64 cobalt bit on an electric dewar drill and I can’t make a dent in the hole of that crank at any drill speed and with any amount of pressure. The metal on that crank is hard and the metal on the pin is hard. Any ideas?

A diamond or carbide tip bit maybe. Man I'm not sure. I must have gotten a pretty cheapo crank then since it just took a small file to ream out the hole enough for my plate to go in.

Does your plate look like this, or have more of a pointed tip?

16122926969825269021742198457062.jpg

This tip would just sit against the end of the crank. There are other ones that have a point to them like what I have in my current setup, that goes into the crank end just a touch. Maybe you could just cut off the point and make it sit flat against the crank.

roots to wings /
041D50C3-A541-4351-A53B-9026F0981E5C.jpeg
EA05D720-7609-4B59-83B7-D7211FA9FDAC.jpeg
FB3F4A3E-7ADA-4CDC-AF46-DEC54DDAA649.jpeg

Oh wow. Thanks an angle I hadn’t considered. I assumed all the way in and I just checked and it doesn’t go in far enough in to put on the retaining ring and there is a huge gap between the plate and the bottom of the castellated cuts so I think it has to go in more

That tip cant be sanded a bit with some rough sand paper then smoothed out real nice? The top pic also looks like everything is together properly.

I can get you this spare plate I have with the flat tip to see if that works better for you.

roots to wings /

Ended up having to get the smallest possible drill bit that would fit to take off a sliver of material on the crank until it was enough to get the pin in. Thai lesson took longer than I’d hoped and was completely unexpected part of my rebuild.

Glad you got it all set.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account