QT50 STEER TUBE THREADS

What size threads are on this steer tube? Mine is bashed, and battered and now I've got to attempt to straighten it out. Powdercoat guy said, "No problem, I'll square it up for you", he didnt.....

So now Ive either got to go sacrafice a bicycle if the size is right, or obtain a die...

Ideas, thoughts? Concerns? Urgent situation here...

Re: QT50 STEER TUBE THREADS

Get a metric thread file. It's bound to have the correct pitch. The one I got from Snap-on years ago has 8 different pitches on it. As long as there are a few good threads remaining to overlap this could be your solution.

This

file.jpg

I’m not even sure now it’s metric. One gues sating 24lpi. Metrics been brought up. Got to compare it to something. Will be visiting a bike shop tomorrow

Photos

D842B1D8-EF30-48F0-8416-4DA16388BEAF.jpeg
B5F7701A-5F1B-4E52-BA16-CD35FD776469.jpeg
089ABDC9-FA6C-4944-8365-584A6C7607C1.jpeg

Lets see the complete tube .

C572D39A-E21D-49FC-9AF6-B3F8A5D31092.jpeg
D5589B6B-5071-4051-8061-81BD12393CD1.jpeg
F2778307-C640-4C0B-856E-99F915210FEA.jpeg

Straight as an arrow

Any ideas?

I suppose worst case I could drill out the base to brake the weld, and have a bike tube welded in, but the threads I need to engage the fasteners are in good shape I just need to square the top part up enough to be able to get the nuts over its (edited)

Pick up a set of Jewelers files ( small , multi purpose needle files ) .

Every tool box should have a set .

I use these to straighten threads , when I don't have the proper die .

Next question, my frame is out of my possession at the moment or Id measure it.

It's a 1978, whats the ID of the head tube on the frame? In other words which bearing races/cups do I need to get?

0D58AC0D-A9FD-4B93-888B-1C11673273B2.jpeg
1EE8A226-DAD1-4DDE-8A25-813EB4435547.jpeg

Which of these is the top bearing cup and which is the bottom cup. I know which one is the steer tube race and the nut that goes on top I need a new one of. So between #2 and #3, which one do you all thinks top?

Got it!!! All is well, except the threads... lol theyre still a wreck

Find another fork. That one is a train wreck. They're not hard to find. If you're clever, find a bent fork with good threads. Cut your newly powder coated fork threads off about two inches down and weld on the donor threads from the bent forks. Doesn't matter where you cut, as long as the donor is the same length and the cut is away from the threads. Bet someone has a bent fork they'd give you for shipping. If you cant weld find a reputable welder to do it for $20 or less. (edited)

A customer of mines got a massive machine shop, he’s going to take a look at it tomorrow. If he can’t do anything I’ll do the chop and weld

> Geoffrey Carlley Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> A customer of mines got a massive machine shop, he’s going to take a

> look at it tomorrow. If he can’t do anything I’ll do the chop and weld

The only draw back will be that the bottom race will have to be installed before welding and it will not come off. Now the dude you're talking about may be able to "v notch" the cut so that there is substantial weld and be able to smooth the weld enough to allow the bottom bearing race to pass over it.

I’ll update you as to what they’re able to do. I’m very hopeful he can make a pass over it with a die and have it fairly square. Probably unrealistic but we will see.

I want a front wheel mounted tomorrow

> Geoffrey Carlley Wrote:

>

> I want a front wheel mounted tomorrow

Jewelers files .

Hope that’s enough thread to hold. That’s what I got. Thread locker! (edited)

7DF67D9E-1C73-4E45-AB99-A14073C220CA.jpeg

^o

395E2544-34E9-4E76-8DF4-873C501C8721.jpeg

F6A6E8C9-522E-45EC-ACA1-C73955DD2B82.jpeg
A0AF4661-0AFA-4B58-BF7E-932551BDC940.jpeg
7FC7C6C7-BC8A-4C5F-B587-FCF850603F07.jpeg

Nah, that eyebrow ring looked like it had a hold of some meat, Mines about a dozen or so solid turns, maybe a couple more or less......

Looks good to me.

In my defense, I am going to use the proper top piece instead of the schwinn piece I had handy..... locking nuts... maybe not enough room, but I got some red/blue/purple lock tite to choose from!

Oh, didn’t look close enough. Thought that was one them open hole top nuts.

If it’s just the upper bearing race with nothing to torque it down, I don’t think loctite is gonna do it.

Maybe tack weld? But that would look pretty whack if you’re trying to make it look right.

> Geoffrey C Wrote:

> >

> Nah, that eyebrow ring looked like it had a hold of some meat, Mines

> about a dozen or so solid turns, maybe a couple more or less......

I like the way that schwin topnut sits but unfortunately theres no failsafe. Looks like the double locking washers from factory is best if it fits.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account