Re: 1980 Honda Express NC50 ignition problem

Jason Majernik /
This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.

An update: I ordered the new stator ignition. While that was on order, I decided to decarbonize the piston and top end. I took the cylinder off and realized one of the rings was seized to the piston. Ugh. So, I had to order a new piston. I got this one, it looks the same as the old one. I also got new rings for the old one, just in case, but the old piston had some scratches on the side, that I didn’t care for. Hoping the new one works well. I also discovered a local motorcycle shop that would hone the cylinder for me. For $5. Cylinder looks good, especially now. I have a gasket set from treats as well. I had to extend the spark plug wire and used an NGK spark plug wire coupler. Also got a new plug boot. I detected continuity in a section of spark plug wire that I cut off from the old coil, so I spliced that in. Reading 11.7 ohms of resistance from the coil to the boot. I think this is right. I did the light test (gently, because I haven’t put the piston on yet), and I had dimming at the F mark on the flywheel! I might be in business. I want to put the piston on the cylinder before I give it a real spark plug check. Don’t want to mash up the piston arm or the bottom of the engine case. I’ve never put a piston in a cylinder and am somewhat concerned with my ability to do that, but I think I can manage. I’ll put the piston in the cylinder (halfway) and attach the piston arm while the piston is in the jug, and I’ll support the jug on bricks or a block of wood (like in Fred’s guide). I think I’ll get spark. Plan to do this tomorrow. Everything else is set. I painted the tank and it surprisingly had little to no rust and will run new lines on everything including a new petcock. Probably just use premix until I test the oil injection, but it seems solid. I’ve also put on a new headlight and all the wiring and switches seem to work.

Does this seem right? I think I may have it. What do you think? Anything I’m missing?

This is a lot, but I’d appreciate any insight.

Jason

This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account