Vespa Grande Running hot - suspecting variator issue

John Bergland /
This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.

My 1980 Grande Deluxe seems to be running hot. I recently put a new AX-39 belt on and I’m wondering if there is an issue with the variator not quite functioning correctly. Often when trying to start it lately, the belt seems to slip just enough that the engine won’t turn over easily. (Variator maybe stuck open a bit, causing the belt not to grip front pulley wheel enough? ) Eventually the belt will tighten enough to make engine turn over and starts easily. After running at about 30MPH for 2 or 3 miles, when I come to a stop, it will stall and seems hot. If the Variator somehow isn’t closing enough, would this cause belt to always be a bit loose and maybe cause engine to rev faster than normal, hence hot running? Thanks for any thoughts or guidance. - John Bergland

This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account