Vespa magneto coils

Chris Carleton /

Rebuilding a Vespa engine not getting fire my question is do all Vespas have a blue external ground wire? Coil supplied with engine has a single red lead to points and an uninsulated lead grounded to coil itself.

Re: Vespa magneto coils

normally, the ground is in a blue or green insulation, and runs through the brake light circuit.

the typical hardwire is to ground the wire to the coil internally. it should probably be insulated, tho

Chris Carleton /

So I'm thinking I got 2 lighting coils. Or can they interchange?

There are usually 2 coils under the flywheel. One is lights the other is ignition. If you have 3 coils, then you probably have a turn signal bike. The extra coil goes to the battery for the turn signals.

Chris Carleton /

Ignition coil?

IMG_20200804_211530.jpg

Dirty30 Dillon /

Yes, has to be with that ring terminal on it.

Yup!

I was wondering, the coils seem to be a sturdy part of the ignition. I even had chewed up a bit on a previous rebuild. Picked out scrap,reset , fired up. So I'm wondering, besides the connection wires needing replaced , how often do the coils just fail ?

> Les B. Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> how often do the coils just fail ?

Failure can be caused by misuse/mishap .

On their own , not very often .

That is usually dependent on the insulation . If the insulation fails , the coil can be unwound and the wire re-insulated , rewound and the unit would work perfectly .

That was the case with the headlight coil in my 1957 Simplex . The insulation deteriorated and was no longer viable . The coil was just a lump of wire .

I 'peeled' it apart , strand for strand , applied spray paint as insulation to the length of that wire and let that dry . Then wound the wire back into it's original form , to fit over the steel core .

Now the headlight works as nice as if fresh from the factory . ;)

That looks like a lighting coil that someone tried to wesel in to the ignition coils position, see the solid copper winding?

Show us your other coil. For that matter show us the the side of the motor with the flywheel removed.

Why are your photos so beautiful Cheetah?

Dirty30 Dillon /

Proper lighting go a long way

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account