Moped won't start after thunder storm / rain? here's how to fix

Simon Belmont /

Just wanted to share a tip on what to do if your moped won't run after it's been hit with rain or thunder storm. (Speaking from experience).

Some people might think that water form thunderstorm got into their tank/carburator and so they'll try to drain that, but carburetor & gas tank cap were designed to prevent just that.

The likely cause of what has happened is - the water from thunderstorm got into your wiring harness & possibly your spark plug cap preventing startup of your ped.

How to solve this: Take a Co2 (compressed air can) other-wise known as air duster

remove the moped side-cover where the wiring harness is and air-dust every connector where water might have gotten into, detach spark plug boot from your spark plug and air it out as well, also air out the space around spark plug and cylinder.

Try to kick start your moped a few more times and it should start.

(These steps were tested on Tomos St A55.)

P.S. Also you may want to protect the wiring harness with a few layers of thick plastic bags & strong tape.

You're welcome!

Re: Moped won't start after thunder storm / rain? here's how to fix

Brandon Weiss (Detective brandon to you) /

This is a great tip. Dielectric grease on the spark plug helps too!

Although, its true that many people don't have airboxes installed on their carburetors like your A55, so it is possible to get water in there in a heavy downpour if you have a regular pod style air filter or no filter at all.

Good to hear from you Simon!

Simon Belmont /

Thank you Brandon you too!

I've always used WD-40 or the Walmart version of it, which is just their general-purpose spray lubricant. Vastly cheaper and equally effective. Sometimes my ancient Geo Metro takes exception to a very wet day and becomes cranky to start, but a shot of the lube on distributor, ignition module, and spark plug wires makes it perk right up. Similarly, my various motorbikes have benefited from the same treatment.

Note that if you ride in the rain and your cylinder gets wet the resulting steam will rise therefrom and condense upon any electrical components bolted to the frame above the cylinder. My old Suzuki did this regularly until I jacketed the ignition coil in some sort of raincoat.

Overpriced Parts /

Don’t forget the switches also.

Many times the switches get full of water and they need to be blown out, that’s what happened to me once years ago when I forgot put the bike in the garage and left it in the driveway overnight and it rained pretty good for about an hour.

The next morning I air hosed everything that you guys said and it still didn’t start.

The only things left which were the switches which were plastic and never gave me any problems when I rode or was caught in the rain before so I blasted them with the air hose. I was surprised how much water and debris blew out the ignition switch and then the bike started right up,

A while ago my wife left the driver side van window open and quick shower came and soaked the armrest switches then the electric windows and locks didn’t work so I did the air hose to those and it worked perfect and they still work

I make it a habit now from time to time blow some air from the compressor into the switches of my bikes to clean them out

> Mark Kinsler Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I've always used WD-40 or the Walmart version of it, which is just their

> general-purpose spray lubricant. Vastly cheaper and equally effective.

> Sometimes my ancient Geo Metro takes exception to a very wet day and

> becomes cranky to start, but a shot of the lube on distributor, ignition

> module, and spark plug wires makes it perk right up. Similarly, my

> various motorbikes have benefited from the same treatment.

>

> Note that if you ride in the rain and your cylinder gets wet the

> resulting steam will rise therefrom and condense upon any electrical

> components bolted to the frame above the cylinder. My old Suzuki did

> this regularly until I jacketed the ignition coil in some sort of

> raincoat.

Did that in my Baja bug back in the day! :)

Rain soaked ? Try spraying things down with WD40 . It's what it was 'invented' for and actually works like it's suppose to . ;)

Cans of duster are actually isobutane. At least they use to be.....works great in your cars ac system!

yea I recently waterproofed the shit outta my bike, sorta piecewise. I made a pretty elaborate airbox to keep that all dry etc.

but def the most critical was the electrical.

it'd def screwed me before riding home in a downpour but not anymore, I can ride it thru the lake I think

How did you waterproof everything?

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account