1980 Honda Express won't stay running!

Merle Schlotfeld /

I bought a 1980 Honda Express last week for my grandson. It wasn't running correctly when I got it home so, I cleaned the carburetor. The next day my grandson rode it for 1 1/2, everything seemed fine. The next day it would start but will only run for 30 seconds and then dies. I cleaned the carb again. Still does the same thing. I have tried all the tips that I could find setting the carb. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Merle

Re: 1980 Honda Express won't stay running!

Jack Rutherford /

Are you using a fuel filter with paper element?

Jason Majernik /

Do you need an aftermarket inline filter if you have a filter (new, on a new petcock) on the petcock in the tank? I’d agree this sounds like a fuel starving issue. Check all of the lines and filters in this case. Replace everything, if possible.

Jack Rutherford /

I say yes you do as that petcock filter provides minimal protection.

Merle Schlotfeld /

Yes, it appears that the fuel filter has a paper element. I checked the petcock and everything appears to be fine there. I will get a new fuel filter and see if that fixes the problem. Thanks to all that responded.

Bikes that have been sitting will mess with you pretty good. All four of mine (and my motorcycle) have done the start-a-few-times-then-unexpectedly-develop-spark-or-air leaks thing. Go through Fred's Guide here under the Wiki if you haven't already. Nothing will serve you better than taking care of the fundamentals just in case you will need to diagnose something more complex. Hang in there, that's a cool little bike. It will be worth the trouble.

if you can get it started but is only runs for 30 seconds, then my guess is that the breather hole on the cap of the fuel tank is clogged, creating negative pressure to the carb. Ttry to clean it out and see if that helps...you can test by loosening the cap to see if that is the issue.

Merle Schlotfeld /

Thanks guys. I have tried all of Fred's steps. I have tried running with the gas cap off. Put in a new filter today, still has the same problem Every time it stars I think it is going to keep running but then it acts like it runs out of gas. I am starting to pull my eyes out.

Merle Schlotfeld /

Help

Jason Majernik /

I feel for you. I’m sorry. I don’t know myself. I’m afraid I have may have a similar issue.

Is your fuel line pliable? I have one that never stays full if fuel completely. There’s always air in it. There’s a bend in it that seems to be a problem. I’m going to replace it or shorten it.

Is the choke retracting when you shut it off? Maybe it’s sticking on? And causing it to die?

Did you lose the springs in the air fuel mix and it’s backing out on its own?

Take the airbox off and run it without it just to see if that’s an issue?

Not sure any of these will help, but might be worth chasing.

Okay, I don't know the 80 model has this. There is a hole that can get stopped up in the upper carb where you remove the float bowl. I had this problem once with one I was repairing for a friend.

I finally found this opening and ran a copper wire thru it. Idling problem was solved.

Merle Schlotfeld /

Thanks Jason, I put new fuel lines on it and the choke seems to be working fine. The springs are still there.

Merle Schlotfeld /

Thanks Don, I will give that a try!

Jason Majernik /

Just thought about this: make sure float is level. Make sure the gasket is still intact at the needle seat. I also use polishing compound on a qtip that’s on a drill to polish that seat area to make sure you have a good seal. Make sure the passage is also completely open.

Merle Schlotfeld /

Thanks Jason, I will gives those a try!

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account