PETG 3D Printed Magnum Side Covers and Trunks + NS50 trunk lids

If treats stocked 3D printed PETG magnum side covers, trunk and trunk lid, would you buy them? Target retail price would be $40ea for side covers, ~$30 for trunk and lid. The trunk is way easier to make.

PETG is more chemically stable than PLA and ABS, and way more thermally stable than PLA. I haven't had any complaints about switch bases melting and those are made from PLA. Plenty of people have screwed too big of screws in them and cracked them - but that doesn't count.

PETG has a glass transition temp of 190*F, so, I kinda doubt anyone would have issues in a hot car, trailer or garage.

NS50 trunk lids would also be PETG, and come with a replacement lock and key.

Lastly, 3d printed switch bases, and the pewter castings from moped junkyard are about to become irrelevant. ;)

Finish1-2.JPG
Productionpicture1.jpg

(edited)

Re: PETG 3D Printed Magnum Side Covers and Trunks + NS50 trunk lids

$30 for trunk and lid is a good price. I need to CAD and print myself a new trunk lid, a friend works in industrial design and took like super high quality scans of the original trunk lid and has them 100% to OEM specs. I think he wants like $40/lid or something. But to me a 30 minute CAD job with a pair of calipers and printed on my Ender3 is good enough.

Hard to tell from the pic, those switch bases aren't aluminum are they?

If the stock screws don’t work and break the printed bases, I would consider including a set that do work.

I'm working with an older scanner, but it's good enough to pull geometry. I just finished up a magnum tank, and it's pretty cool. Not sure what I plan to do with the geometry... a 3d printed magnum tank sounds like a bad idea lol. Might proceed with side covers. The cool thing is, all you gotta do is mirror it when you get it right for the other side.

I'm in agreement with the calipers. Nothing beats a set of calipers! (unless it's shitty weird organic geometry lol). I think the whole thing could have been reproduced if you had a nice set of radius gauges.

Switch bases are black anodized 6061-t6. They're currently in transit... hopefully they're in stock by the end of the month. They use M4 mounting screws tapped into the aluminum to secure the switch and the base to the bars.

The tank looks short, but it isn't... it's just perspective.

magnumfront.JPG
IMG_7290.jpg

> Daniel '' Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> If the stock screws don’t work and break the printed bases, I would

> consider including a set that do work.

Daniel,

The stock screws work fine when I've used them. The last sets I sent, I included screws pre-installed. I used an electric drill to install 120 screws (two screws on 30x left and right), wasn't careful and had zero of them crack. I sent spare screws to treats but unsure if they got listed.

Not necessarily true with the side covers, each side is different. They mate up in a certain way if that makes sense. I've been trying to find an Xbox Kinect to use as a scanner, my old roommate had some pretty good results using one

I wasn’t trying to knock your stuff, sorry if it came off that way. It was pre coffee. I’m super thankful you have made all of these awesome products for us less than capable. Though every set I have installed split eventually, they never quite snug up enough to not slip. I had a couple customers bikes go out with them not split and come back broken. I wasn’t super bummed, i just squirted some super glue Into them. I can live with the loose base as opposed to a dangling switch, but there is definitely a need for sturdier bases. I will definitely be picking up a set or two of the aluminum ones.

Personally, I would really like to see a supply of magnum seat pans. I feel like I’m not the only person with some aftermarket compromise because the original rotted away.

Can printed plastics hold up to that kinda strain?

@daniel - no worries man... I didn't think you were ragging. I know there have been issues with them splitting. The hardest thing making stuff is getting feedback. I don't know how many if any people complain to treats, but I don't usually get feedback as a manufacturer from them. I've had a very old set (2014) on my maxi, but plastics, my printer and all sorts of factors could and probably have changed since then. I also haven't made anything cool like trickmetric yet... just lame shit that isn't mechanical. Hoping to make some cool stuff now that I'm out of house renovation purgatory. Sending you a PM.

@papa_ - I don't think an *only* printed seat pan would hold up, but if you cored it with a steel dowel or pipe, or carbon fiber, I totally think it'd be viable. That's not something I would be interested in producing or distributing... maybe I can give that a go and publish the files for people to print themselves. Check out 3Dlabprint. They do printed rc airplanes that have carbon fiber stiffners in the wings of the larger models.

I'd like to post some free shit to thingiverse or my website, I just haven't found a good candidate for that yet. Seat pan would be a good one... maybe digitizing all magnum tins/covers will just be a new goal and I can publish the pan for free to print-yourself.

FWIW, I do re-invest with the proceeds from treats sales, and every single part I make gets test fit and inspected. I reject quite a bit. Printing is far from a perfect process.

What about thoughts on NS50 trunk lids? Think $40 would be fair? (edited)

Very stoked on these new bases! I'd probably pick up side covers and trunk if they came in black as well

3D printed tanks would be a nice shell for hiding batteries while keeping a stock look on e-conversions. without having to demolish a stock tank to do it

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account