Advice on a reed valve engine with oil injection

Just got my Suzuki FZ50 running. I know, I know,...it's a POS in moped Utopia and though it sounds lame, I am building it for my wife. Go ahead and take your best shot if you like. I am a true believer--three real mopeds besides this noped. Anyway, I haven't gotten to the point of testing out the oil pump while running to see what it's pushing out. I ran it a few times already, tweaking things, using premix (40:1) and left the oil pump (has oil in the tank) hooked up. Did all the right prep for a first attempt and it fired right up, proceeded to smoke out my neighborhood for a minute, now runs like a champ and no visible smoke. If I'm not polluting the air with visible smoke, any harm in continuing the combo of premix/oil injection, and if the engine is running sweet? This thing appeared to have been soft seized once, so I'm not sure I trust the oil injection and also don't want to go full premix and risk messing up the lower end.

Re: Advice on a reed valve engine with oil injection

You can run both . It might load up the plug a bit , but , better too rich than lean .

For just putting around the neighborhood it should be fine. If you start fouling plugs a bunch then maybe get rid of the oil injector. They are usually pretty straight forward to omit.

You should know that the Japanese oil pumps rarely go bad .

You'd spend a lot of time trying to find one instance of it happening .

The Honda Express I recently sold loved the Honda 2 stroke injector oil. Burned cleaner, idled better and was easier to start. See if Suzuki sells a similar oil designed for injected 2 strokes.

I use Lucas in my FA50 with excellent results ( injected ) .

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account