Vespa Loses spark after one ignition.

eric steinberg /

Hey all, sorry if this is out of the moped range, but maybe someone has had a similar situation.

I have a 2002 ET4 150cc scooter. It used to be a rust bucket, but I tore it apart and rebuilt it. Now I’m almost there and I’m having a funny spark problem.

I have spark for one combustion. Once the motor fires, the spark goes away. I’ve searched for help but I only find “no spark” problems.

I think I have it all wired up correctly. Ignition coil tests ok. I’m using an inline spark tester so I can see when the spark stops.

Has anyone ever heard of this?

Thanks

Re: Vespa Loses spark after one ignition.

1) Scooter form is what you need, not moped forum. It will help you if you learn the difference.

2) I would treat it as a no spark situation. You need to check all aspects of the ignition system. Look for shorts, bad wires, etc.

1. Get a new condensor if points

2. New plug,wire , maybe HT coil

3. How long does it take for the spark to return. Or did it happen once and that was it.

4. If cdi ...that too may need newness

eric steinberg /

thanks guys. scooter forum is what i needed. turns out there's a really stupid ignition switch antenna that sends a signal to the "security" system causing it not to fire if the "wrong" key or no key was used.

thanks for the answers!

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account