Tail Light Burns out

On my 85 E 50 Puch My tail light bulb a #63 keeps burning out . Works for a while then burns out 3 in a row. The brake light is also a # 63 and works fine. What should I check for. OR do I have the wrong bulb.

Re: Tail Light Burns out

Overpriced Parts /

Air gap maybe too close

Re: Tail Light Burns out

> Overpriced Parts Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Air gap maybe too close

If you loosen the screws on the stator and back the coil toward the middle, it lowers the voltage?

I guess that’s common sense electronics, but I never thought about it.

Re: Tail Light Burns out

I'd try a higher wattage taillight bulb if that doesn't help.

Re: Tail Light Burns out

> Papa _ Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> > Overpriced Parts Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > Air gap maybe too close

>

> If you loosen the screws on the stator and back the coil toward the

> middle, it lowers the voltage?

>

> I guess that’s common sense electronics, but I never thought about it.

Exactly . The farther the coil cores are from the spinning magnets , the weaker the magnetic flux and produced 'electricity' .

Re: Tail Light Burns out

Overpriced Parts /

> Overpriced Parts Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Air gap maybe too close

I maybe wrong if your bike came with a voltage regulator,

I was thinking 1982 and older 6 wire ignition/no voltage regulator bikes, I believe in your year 1984, 1985 they came with or without a voltage regulator But if yours was a non voltage regulator ignition then adjusts air gap,

Re: Tail Light Burns out

When you say adjust the air gap what exactly does that consist of? I checked the voltage output and it is between 4.5 and 5 volts. It has now blown out 2 headlight bulbs and 2 tail lights The spedo light has not burned out and the stop light works i suppose thats because it is not on constantly like the head light and tail light.

I am not sure of what the term " adjust air gap : means.

Re: Tail Light Burns out

todd amundson /

If you’re Speedo bulbs out and or headlight then yeah, you’ll burn out the rear.

Over and over and over

Re: Tail Light Burns out

Overpriced Parts /

> Bill Donati Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> When you say adjust the air gap what exactly does that consist of? I

> checked the voltage output and it is between 4.5 and 5 volts. It has now

> blown out 2 headlight bulbs and 2 tail lights The spedo light has not

> burned out and the stop light works i suppose thats because it is not

> on constantly like the head light and tail light.

> Army

> I am not sure of what the term " adjust air gap : means.

Maybe if you searched or learned how to search, maybe you would! especially if your life depended on it Like I had to most my life before the Internet!

We can’t spoonfeed you for weeks at a time on MA

All the info is here for 20 years or more in wiki but I can’t say because I’m not connected to a fast Internet most times!

But all are on Most Mopeds manuals main page, even if you have 1 part of a of a brain,

Search everthing On moped Army! You may see commercials, ad all kind of things, If you run into a problem email me,

Let me know thanks!

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account