Sachs 505/1D Timing Marks Not Lining Up

Greetings Army men and women.

I recently picked up a 1982 Eagle 3 with a Sachs 505/1D motor. Beautiful bike, but has a few quirks. I'm going through everything now to get things back to stock before tweaking further, and have come across an interesting issue with the timing; the fire (M) and TDC (O) markings on the magneto flywheel don't line up at all with the reference mark on the engine case. When rotating the flywheel in the direction of engine rotation, TDC happens about 1 3/4 inches past the engine case mark (I used the screwdriver method to find the highest point of the piston in the cylinder for TDC). I even pulled the flywheel off to make sure it was set in correctly with the woodruff key, and it was. So, my temporary fix is that I placed a new mark on the engine case with a Sharpie to line up the "O" marking on the flywheel at TDC. I then set my timing from there. Everything seems to be running better after I set the timing and the points gap to this new mark. (Please see attached photo). Have any of you experienced this before? I'm wondering if this engine had been rebuilt at some point and the shaft was placed out of alignment? It just seems weird that the markings would be so far off.

Oh, also, when I pulled the flywheel off, i noticed this deposit of brown, hard lacquer in the bottom of the case. It almost looks like some kind of doping for the electrical system. I really can't tell. I also attached a pic of that. Any thoughts?

Thanks everyone!

Sachs505-1d_Timing.jpg
Sachs505-1d_Doping.jpg

Re: Sachs 505/1D Timing Marks Not Lining Up

Overpriced Parts /

Timing marks move with point settings but top dead center marks don’t move pretty much, but can if flywheel is not in exact place as factory or when marks were made so always re find top dead center and remark if needed when done removing flywheel, Sachs are timed way to high from factory to begin with,

Thanks for the reply OP Parts.

I know the firing mark is variable based on the adjustment, but the TDC mark being so far off from the engine case mark has me scratching my head. And with the woodruff key being where it is, there is no other way to place the flywheel. But, like you said, I just made my own TDC mark based on the position of the piston in the cylinder, and am going from there. I'm still thinking it was a rebuild mistake at some point in the last 38 years! My biggest worry is that if something is out of alignment, that it might affect something on the inside of the case as well.

it's not uncommon for the sachs to slip timing, the woodruff key or the keyway in the flywheel would be visibly marred. But for timing, marks dnt really matter - identify top dead and set the points from that, making your own mark.

the brown goo is usually an indicator of a leaking seal. it may not be that big of a deal, but you may want to replace that crank seal sometime soon

Thanks BTBW.

The key seems to be in good shape. Someone on the facebook group also suggested maybe the flywheel is not original to this bike. Seems like a logical possibility. Thanks for the heads up on the seal. The weird thing about the lacquer is that it is rock hard, which wouldn't be a very common trait if it were oil. But, maybe premix gas that had sat in there for years and turned?

> Jeff Dittenber Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Thanks BTBW.

>

> The key seems to be in good shape. Someone on the facebook group also

> suggested maybe the flywheel is not original to this bike. Seems like a

> logical possibility. Thanks for the heads up on the seal. The weird

> thing about the lacquer is that it is rock hard, which wouldn't be a

> very common trait if it were oil. But, maybe premix gas that had sat in

> there for years and turned?

yea I've seen it too, I think it's just a little bit of gas seeping out steady over time. it may also be part of the case sealer, though I dunno why there. Anyway I've def seen it on plenty of bikes that ran fine. When it gets bad enough to be a problem you know. it'll get to a black splatter visible on back of the stator even.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account