Grande problemos

Anyhow on previous threads, with help, I got the ignition problem sorted. now , as I pedal to start , it rotates then ,Bam! Dead stop. It’s like the starter clutch is acting as a brake!? Let up, pedal, again! Stumped. I will try send video . Any thoughts? Won’t send Video

119793CD-1120-4A6C-AF27-81E9B50CCACF.jpeg

Re: Grande problemos

Are you using the decomp?

Yessir Nick.

Check each component by hand. Will the engine turn over by hand or does it hit something? Does the clutch bell turn around a full turn or does it have a sticky spot? Does the rear clutch pulley rotate freely?

Yessir Ike. I rotated by hand to make sure I got oil thru the piston and head. Moved snug at first being a new build ,,no hang up,, but I do recall I had the same problem on one of the Bravos and it was the decompression unit needed adjusted. Hopefully that's it. Will check everything tomorrow.

make sure your wheel and freewheel move freely

Is the piston hitting the head?

It’s got a polini 43 head on it. The bell moves easy also pulley when I rotate variator. Just checked minutes ago. Jay, how could the piston be hitting? Also freewheel and wheel.

EA3AB887-0292-48B1-9E2B-F088E7896674.jpeg

. Here’s a pic of the head I bought.

7264ACE6-3615-4664-BCD0-DD495545B515.jpeg

Ohhhhhh...... You have an aftermarket head... I wonder if your decomp is actually opening when you pull the lever. I had that trouble.

If the slack in the cable prevents your decomp from actually opening, when the starter shoes engage you hit full compression and it feels pretty stiff.

Instead of pedal start, try a roll start. See what happens.

I adjusted the fuck out of it. Cable snapped I think. I got no hill to roll down should I put the Bravo clip on it?

I don't think the Bravo clip is better than the a Grande system. But if you can't open the decomp, then I'd say that's what is what you're hitting when the starter shoes engage.

I put the original cable back on, what a difference. I threaded decomp articles, made sure the tension spring barely touches the plunger, tightened the knarp. So tomorrow ill give it a shot. If it's still rough, I'm gonna drop the engine an pop the flywheel . I wanna get this running so I can put the bling,bling on. 8)

Popped the flywheel no rubbing , shavings , etc.took coils off , replaced . Even shaved off the tab everyone says to. Still tighter than a cats ass. Bumming out

Ike. Question. Do I need a different decompression valve for the Olympia 43 kit? I'm not a mechanic like you guys ,but I'm trying my best. I've been looking at threads and have seen no mention of them.

Did the head come with a decomp?

No it didn't. Should it have? I kitted my Bravo with same kit but it came with the 43 Bravo head . No decompression valve . It runs great ! This beast got me stumped.

Okay, is it possible I've over torqued the case bolts??

Ľ̷̝̽͒i̶̛̼͑͠ȁ̸̧̛̽m̵̻̟̯̀̅ ̷͎̙̽̊F̶̲̺͑̓ F /

Yeah you could have, but you would have to torque it a lot to crush the gasket. You aren’t supposed to torque them that tight, just about snug. Have you tried pedaling it without a spark plug in? That could narrow it down to only either a crank issue or clutch issue. I suspect your probably missing a variator spacer and it’s rubbing against the subframe

Dirty30 Dillon /

If you pull the plug and the motor still doesn't turn over easily, it's most likely you're impacting the piston into the head.

There is no way with a functioning decomp and turning that over via pedal, that the compression should be locking the motor.

Yeah I would also say piston hitting the head, but in stock cylinders there is quite a squish gap in the cylinder itself, so I would kind of be surprised

Dirty30 Dillon /

He's running an olympia 43mm and head.

Ahh ok. If nothing else, maybe see if the crank seal is pushed into the bearing too far, or pull the cylinder and see if it’s scored

This spacer?

E456B471-10B3-49B6-AAA7-9622418A87B2.jpeg

It’s an Olympia 43 mm kit / with the posted polini head . I took the engine out nothing scraping. Piston head clean . Right now I’m taking it apart again . The spacer is 8.26 mm. Could it be worn?

5A224C74-3CE1-403F-A3CA-876325EF87E2.jpeg

Took it apart again flywheel was very tough to spin. Popped off gripped the crank by hand . Everything is free,pull the cylinder up. No scoring .piston head still clean. Closer inspection, wavy washer missing. Could that have been the problem?! I don't know if it flew off when I pulled the flywheel or what? Been looking for a spare.. just finding cams . (edited)

Maybe bearings are sticking, sometimes you have to shock them with a hammer to the cases

*mallet. Please don’t use a steel hammer

Vbcpp, everything moved freely once I got the flywheel off. Wavy washer flew off , I didn't forget to put it on. I checked the piston no scrapes, everything is lined up. I'm thinking the flywheel wasn't set perfect. Every step reassembling I check to make sure it's moving good.. all's well so far...

Well,3rd time was no charm. Everything was nice and loose after disassembling inspecting , getting the flywheel sorted. I kept my cool, cleaned work area, bike on bench,strapped down. I'm gonna mothball this till I find a solution short of finding a moped mechanic . Thanks for all the input. I'm gonna re- read all ideas and go thru past threads. 8)

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account