Re: Grande problemos, a spark don't mean it's right.

[attachment 232324 AFA5A33C-10FA-46E2-BB89-8BCAD0EA312E.well this is a first....

AFA5A33C-10FA-46E2-BB89-8BCAD0EA312E.jpeg

Very impressive. You have done exactly what I should have done with my kinetic flywheel when I had to set it without the woodruff key I wanted to take that center brass bushing and rotate it. But of course for you you would have to set that thing exactly where it was before in order to get the correct timing of your points. You might be considering a different flywheel at this point but then again if it was a little bit out the last time you checked it and not sitting perfectly flush that would lower the flywheel into the case and you should be seeing some kind of marking on the aluminum case where the flywheel was touching I say this because it happened to me on another build with an hpi..

Re: Grande problemos

This build is cursed .tomorrow is another day!

> Les B. Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> [attachment 232324 AFA5A33C-10FA-46E2-BB89-8BCAD0EA312E.well this is a

> first....

What is that^ pic ? Reload it , please .

The flywheel against the crank PD.

> Les B. Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> The flywheel against the crank PD.

So , a worn bushing in the flywheel , which doesn't sound plausible , or just the wrong flywheel ?

No I think the woodruff key is worn and it doesn't set properly. I usually replace just about everything on my rebuilds but let this slip. Also I've read in old threads some don't even worry bout the key. They state once tightened the flywheel stays put. So once again head scratch in.

Posted earlier @ Discussion. Here goes, did all I could with coils on the Grande. Still scraps. Terbo states the crank is bent. Any one know how to determine that? Since it’s tapered it’s seems tough to figure it. Anyone had a problem like this?

Did you lap the flywheel to the crank with valve grinding compound? Did you see if the flywheel rubs without the woodruff key installed?

I will try without the key today Joe.

I don't think your crank is bent. If it was you would be able to see your flywheel moving akilter up and down along the edge as you spin it.

I had the same trouble with a motor years ago and I tried most of what was suggested like pushing the coils inward that last little bit before tightening the screw.

I at last pulled the coils up one at a time and dressed the edges of the of the plates down with a flapper disc on a grinder.

That's the way to go..... thanks Cheetahchrome.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account