Motobecane Locks Up and Stalls At Stop

I fixed up a Motobecane for my friend and it has ran great after I switched to the aftermarket carb. However, last night it locked up the back tire at a stop sign and wouldn’t turn over without the decompression lever. Still runs great, but when you try to stop it dies out. Usually you would have to throttle to keep it running, but now you can’t throttle without making the tire move. I’m guessing some sort of clutch shoe or something?? Appreciate any insight. Thanks, guys.

Re: Motobecane Locks Up and Stalls At Stop

Your clutch or starter clutch has locked up and seized to the drum.

Order the motobecane puller from treatland.tv so you can disassemble the variator/clutch assembly and clean the pads with sandpaper/break them loose.

That makes perfect sense. Many thanks, my friend! I’m ordering the puller now.

u dont need a puller to mess with your variator clutches, u need patience and those long nose snap ring pliers.

You do not need to disassemble the variator to loose up the starter arms. Use the clutch cover puller to remove the cover then use needle nose pliers to carefully disconnect the springs on the arms. Use some penetrating oil on the pivot points of the arms and work then until they are very loose and can fall open and closed from their own weight. Then use brake cleaner to remove all excess oil (because it will otherwise find its way onto the clutch pads and you will need to replace the arms) so there is minimal oil residue. Reattach the springs.

While the clutch is open make sure there is no crap and powder over everything and if the friction material or rubbing surface is either a little rusty ro super shiney, give it a bit of a scrub with 220 aluminium oxide cloth.

Reassemble the cover to the variator and blast.

Thank you for the thorough instructions. I finally have a chance to work on it today so this is very helpful. Much appreciated.

Francisco Rodriguez /

My tomos a35 does the same thing…? So, I do have followed on the above given instructions?

Overpriced Parts /

> Francisco Rodriguez Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> My tomos a35 does the same thing…? So, I do have followed on the above

> given instructions?

No Tomos is completely different two speed engine that has no variator, sounds like your seizing your topend

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account